Bravo XR, LH or RH failure rate

Notices

Bravo XR, LH or RH failure rate

Old 04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Bravo XR, LH or RH failure rate

I've read that bravo xr's running LH props are more prone to failure. Is this true?

I also read that 5 or 6 blades props are tougher on drives. Is this true? I could see that being true if slip numbers are REALLY low. In my case, I think my slip numbers have some room for improvement. I don't have concrete numbers yet but I think I'm running around 15%. I'd like to shoot for 12%.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Both the times that I experienced a catestrophic failure
( driven tooth broke off, got wedged, pushed the pinion forward, junked everything) was turning r/h.

First time was in my boat ( w/5 blades)

Second time was in a buddys boat ( w/4 blades)

If a tooth were to break off on the l/h drive, it probably
would push the top off.

I dont have alot of faith in XR gearsets anymore.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try an offer an opinion on why Bravo's spinning the prop left handed is considered weaker. The upper gearset has a top and bottom gear relative to the pinion gear of the input shaft. For left hand rotation the top gear is loaded by the cone clutch to spin the vertical shaft, in right hand rotation the lower gear is loaded. The lower gear is supported by the floor of the case, it has more mass of metal for strength to keep the gears in correct mesh. The upper gear is supported by the top cap and that is supported by the case. With all the access holes in the case and with heat build up, the upper part of the case does not have as much mass to support the bearings and keep the correct gear mesh patterns. Basically the case flexes and the gears contact pattern change. That said I see failures in gear sets spinning the prop both ways. In my opinion, it is a conversation that makes sense in theory but reality is a different thing. Hope that helps.