Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
adding shoot through depth transducer???? where to place it? >

adding shoot through depth transducer???? where to place it?

Notices

adding shoot through depth transducer???? where to place it?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding shoot through depth transducer???? where to place it?

so my transom mount depth guage doesnt work real well, plus the one bay i go through has lots of weeds so it gets "flipped" up all the time also so i'm thinking of going to a shoot through type, question is where to place it?? i have heard about cored hulls, ETC but have no idea if my boat has one, also in the pic theres this cut out area in the bottom, but its curved not flat so that doesnt seem like why that area is dished out. actually i have no idea why that area is dished out as the motor is at least 6" off the bottom of the hull if not more?

so any ideas on where to place on in this hull, or what that dish out area is for would be appreciated!

BTW boat is a 1990 Baja sport 250 with a 454 MAG/Bravo

Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Registered

TTT, nobody uses through hull transducers???
Old 04-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

i like to mount them towards the middle of the boat,this way if your in shallow water you can pop the drive in neutral in time..
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

There are two things you need to look for when you mount a thru hull transducer: 1) Where you can mount it, and 2) If you can actually mount it there. Sounds like you've done #1.

For #2, it's best to have the boat in the water at a known depth. Take your transducer and place it in a plastic shopping bag partially filled with water. Gather it up around the top where the cable comes out (to prevent the water from leaking out) and press it to the bilge where you selected your spot. With the unit on, if you get a correct depth reading, mark the exact spot. If you get an error message, you have air entrapped in the lamination and you cannot use that spot. (Make sure to move it around a bit to see how much latitude you have in location.

Next, clean and prepare the location exactly as shown in the instructions. The critical part here is not to entrap any air bubbles in the epoxy that seals the puck to the bilge floor.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Registered

i like the bag idea, however i have the motor out of the boat and want to put in the new sender while i have easy access!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

Past experience from my bass boat days. Make sure there is no aeration of the water passing under the area you are mounting. A strake, step, or pad can cause aearation. Also you want the transducer mounted perpendicular to the lake bottom. Use a good epoxy or fiberglass resin with no air bubbles in the mix.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
i like the bag idea, however i have the motor out of the boat and want to put in the new sender while i have easy access!!!
Unfortunately, that's going to lead to a crap shoot as to it being a good location.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok old trick. take vasiline put a good amont on the bottom of the sender then place it were you want it. press slowly down on it . you want no air under the sender . just vasiline. you can move it till you fine the rigth spot. then you can remove and clean that spot and expoit premently. my buddy just left the vasiline on his boat been working for ten years