Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Flywheel/crankshaft spacer for Steel motor mounts? >

Flywheel/crankshaft spacer for Steel motor mounts?

Notices

Flywheel/crankshaft spacer for Steel motor mounts?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Flywheel/crankshaft spacer for Steel motor mounts?

Am currently re-rigging my boat with a pair of 502 motors that originally came in a cruiser with trannies. I have everything needed to put them in my Sonic 36 ss.
The difference is that in the sonic with a TRS setup I have steel plates that mount to the stringers. One goes under the motor and the 2nd bolts behind the flywheel.

The 2nd mount effectively moves everything back by about 1/4inch and I have very little starter engagement now and the dowel pins that align bellhousing are barely long enough.

Do they make spacers for the motors that could space out the flywheel the extra 1/4 inch I need?

Let me know
Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So your saying you have a TRS setup in the sonic. If so then why do you need the the rear plate mount. Doesn't the trans tailstock mount into the transom plate. What trannies you going to be running in the sonic?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
So your saying you have a TRS setup in the sonic. If so then why do you need the the rear plate mount. Doesn't the trans tailstock mount into the transom plate. What trannies you going to be running in the sonic?
Yeah, now Im starting to wonder if I even need the rear mounts! I saw the post below and from what you just said, it got me thinking a bit:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ing-ssm-v.html

Am running what looks like stock Velvet transmissions with tail stock mounts. I guess it would meant I have essentially 3 mounts...and that doesnt make sense eh?

I just saw the plates in the hull and assumed I needed 2 run both the steel mounts. The engine compartment is bare now. Have the trannies and TRS gimbal assemblies and they came with these mounts.

Does it make sense to just use the front steel plate and use the tail stock mounts on trannies to the TRS inner plate?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered

Yep. That's all ya need. TRS don't use a rear plate set up like that. Them B-W's will mount right on the transom plate. Actually don't need the plate on the front either though I quess you could use it if it is set up correct. They normaly just use motor mounts like these.
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/ass...),978-220.aspx
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered

Yep. That's all ya need. TRS don't use a rear plate set up like that. Them B-W's will mount right on the transom plate. Actually don't need the plate on the front either though I quess you could use it if it is set up correct. They normaly just use motor mounts like these.
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/ass...),978-220.aspx
The motors did come with mounts like that actually...so I could just the tail house mounts and those other front mounts?
The stringers arent setup for that style mount, how do I set it up for that? Just drill holes or make some sort of base plate on the stringer?

My engine mounts look similar to this:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...ore-mounts.jpg

My engine bay looks like this with 2 mounts ready for the 2 steel motor mounts:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...untain-021.jpg

Last edited by Rambocj7; 04-26-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
The motors did come with mounts like that actually...so I could just the tail house mounts and those other front mounts?
The stringers arent setup for that style mount, how do I set it up for that? Just drill holes or make some sort of base plate on the stringer?
If the boat is already set up to use the plate on the front that may be the way to go. You would have to figure out exactly where the mounts needed to be and then either screw them into the stringers or make base plates, whatever need be. Mine are on steel base plates which sandwich the stringers and are raised about 3 inches higher than the stringer. Just all depends on the boat and how high the gimble assemblies are in the transom.

So are you converting this boat to TRS drives? What was in it originally?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Registered

If the boat is already set up to use the plate on the front that may be the way to go. You would have to figure out exactly where the mounts needed to be and then either screw them into the stringers or make base plates, whatever need be. Mine are on steel base plates which sandwich the stringers and are raised about 3 inches higher than the stringer. Just all depends on the boat and how high the gimble assemblies are in the transom.

So are you converting this boat to TRS drives? What was in it originally?

I may have to do the sandwich style as you say, I realize I have those plates as well. I dont know much history about the boat, just picke it up last weekend. It has been without motors for a solid 12 yrs. Used to be a race boat for Sonic. I thought it was a TRS setup, but could have been something else...the rear holes definitely look like TRS.

I may just go with tranny mounts and use the traditional mounts in the front that sandwich the stringer....
Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
Am currently re-rigging my boat with a pair of 502 motors that originally came in a cruiser with trannies. I have everything needed to put them in my Sonic 36 ss.
The difference is that in the sonic with a TRS setup I have steel plates that mount to the stringers. One goes under the motor and the 2nd bolts behind the flywheel.

The 2nd mount effectively moves everything back by about 1/4inch and I have very little starter engagement now and the dowel pins that align bellhousing are barely long enough.

Do they make spacers for the motors that could space out the flywheel the extra 1/4 inch I need?

Let me know
Thanks
im guessing you bought a motor and trans setup used out of a cruiser .if you did and your using the the bellhousing from the cruiser and putting the plate inbetween you will need to remove the thickness of that plate from the bell to get your starter to engauge also the trans wont line up or front mount without bending it . i would not remove the rear mount and run without it .i have a cig with the same setup. front mount- mid mount - and the tail shaft mount =2 long bolts in my opinion its a simple fix remove the bellhousing and any machine shop could surface it . mounts were put there for a reason and i would use them . hell if you want ship them to me and ill take that 1/4 off for ya. i work in a machine shop and that would be easy for sure .let me know if i can help
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Yeah, the motors were out of a cruiser some MPI 502 Blue Water motors.

So youre saying I should use the 3 mounts as opposed to just using front mount and the tail shaft mount? I think this boat had some blower motors at one point which is why its set up like this.

I do know a machine shop in the area. So I should still use the rear mount and machine the bellhousing down a 1/4? What about the input shaft on the tranny, will it be long enough? Am assuming yes, but this setup is new to me...
Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rambo Cj7
Yeah, the motors were out of a cruiser some MPI 502 Blue Water motors.

So your saying I should use the 3 mounts as opposed to just using front mount and the tail shaft mount? I think this boat had some blower motors at one point which is why its set up like this.

I do know a machine shop in the area. So I should still use the rear mount and machine the bellhousing down a 1/4? What about the input shaft on the tranny, will it be long enough? Am assuming yes, but this setup is new to me...
I wouldn't even consider it unless your planning on running 800+ HP. For every one boat you see set up like that there are thousands that aren't. If Mercury thought it was necessary they would have made the bellhousing to accommodate a plate between there. This is totally an aftermarket high performance alteration. In your case it is unneeded.

Last edited by picklenjim; 04-29-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.