STEREO Advice >

STEREO Advice

Notices

STEREO Advice

Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts
Default STEREO Advice

Just thought I would run a qustion by some sound experts. I realize there are several ways to go however wanted to list what I have and not planning to change much out but its what I would like to add.

I am looking to add a 3rd sub in the center under the rear seat (sealed sub). Just not sure what size to go with. As of now I have two JL 12"w6 daul coils mounted in my front seat bases firing forward (sealed 1.25 sq ft) A set of M770 components sealed just forward of knee area in the side panels along with mx650's near the same area pointing upward a tad.

As far as the back of the cockpit I have the same set up as the front only the m770's are mounted under the rear seat near the sides of the hull with the mx650's on the side panels. The real question is I would really like an additional sub under the rear seat. (just one) in the middle however not sure what size I should consider. I didn't know weather to go with another w6/7 - 12" or possibly 10" or even an 8". Or nothing at all. I am building everything right now (new custom seat bases front and rear) and figured now is the time. I even have room in the front seat bases as they are large and I need to size them down with a section vertically side to side in the box to get the 1.25 for the 12's so I will end up with just over 1/2 sq ft to work with on both sides. Another words I coud utilize that area firing something toward the back seat area.

The amp I have to work with for the additional sub is a jl 500/1 mono amp. Maybe even a vented sub for the rear??? Also what is the ideal size for the sealed 12's up front. I don't care for the base to be overly tight so to speak. So should I up the size of the sealed box for the 12's up front or wont that make much dif??? My son like to listen to a lot of hip hop/r&b. lol...

Any ideas? Sorry for the lengthy thread but all is under construction at the moment.

I just don't want to be over kill on the mids/highs or subs/base.

Thanks for reading advising.

Last edited by getrdunn; 04-27-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So You have 4 12's now and that is not enough? How big is boat? If you listen to rap the best box is a sealed box for that music. That box size is fine but you could go down a tad like 1.1 cube. If you have space in between I would do a set of 8 in mids with tweets. I really don't think you need much more lows.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
So You have 4 12's now and that is not enough? How big is boat? If you listen to rap the best box is a sealed box for that music. That box size is fine but you could go down a tad like 1.1 cube. If you have space in between I would do a set of 8 in mids with tweets. I really don't think you need much more lows.
No I just have the two 12". They are dual voice coil. Just the two 12"s is it but consider the other components I just wanted to know if there is a need for a third sub as mentioned. Something to run off the 500/1 mono amp I have. I was thinking for tuning purposes to maybe add a 10w6. Just not sure how those m7770's in a sealed box for mid base. I would think they would run about 80 to 100 hz for starters and just didn't know if I would be lacking something in btwn those and the twelves.
Thanks
john
Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
No I just have the two 12". They are dual voice coil. Just the two 12"s is it but consider the other components I just wanted to know if there is a need for a third sub as mentioned. Something to run off the 500/1 mono amp I have. I was thinking for tuning purposes to maybe add a 10w6. Just not sure how those m7770's in a sealed box for mid base. I would think they would run about 80 to 100 hz for starters and just didn't know if I would be lacking something in btwn those and the twelves.
Thanks
john
I have been told by several stereo guys in the past not to run 10's and 12's together, cant remember the reason. If you have 770's they will probably fill midrange pretty well IMO. I think you are right on for crossover freq. I am running 3 JL marine 10's and 3 pair of M650's, crossover break at 85. I dont notice any hole in the mid, and they are pretty evenly matched bass/treble one doesnt drown the other. It is one of the best sounding systems around, quality and volume wise. My stuff is all free air, usually with sealed enclosures you will get better quality sound to my ear, so I cant see any problem with your setup. BTW I forgot to send you pics of the bezels, will try to get it tomorrow.

Last edited by hotjava66; 04-27-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66
I have been told by several stereo guys in the past not to run 10's and 12's together, cant remember the reason. If you have 770's they will probably fill midrange pretty well IMO. I think you are right on for crossover freq. I am running 3 JL marine 10's and 3 pair of M650's, crossover break at 85. I dont notice any hole in the mid, and they are pretty evenly matched bass/treble one doesnt drown the other. It is one of the best sounding systems around, quality and volume wise. My stuff is all free air, usually with sealed enclosures you will get better quality sound to my ear, so I cant see any problem with your setup.
I think I'll take your advice. I am just going to build the rear bench/base for future plans if need be. The two 12w6's will probably be just fine. I think it's more of hitting the pillow at night and can't sleep so I tend to over think. I can always add another 12" down the road if I feel the need.

Thanks and point well taken.
John
Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

John-
I think your going to be fine with 2 W6 12's. I'm running 2 Boston Acoustic G5 DVC 10's a 1/2 cubic foot sealed box under each front seat. The sound is good and I'm putting similar power to them, 500 watts. If you need to install another sub then I would stick with another W6 12. As far as crossover points and sound gaps, I think your fine. If you crossover the subs at say 70-80 hz and the 770's at 80-90 or even 100 hz I think your sound will be fantastic and I really doubt that adding an additional sub will do much other than give you more bass. I'd have you come down and check out my stereo but last fall I hit a huge wave wrong and it broke my amp rack and messed up a ground or something. So I need to tear into that when the rain stops. As a whole is your boat about done? I want to see that thing sitting in the water! Also- Good to see you back on here!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered

Thanks Mike,
I'm still doing some glass work however would like to have it ready for paint near the end of may the then the engine installs. I'm moving forward anyway. Shattered my heel a while back so that really slowed things up. I'll be in touch though.
John
Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've heard somewhere that every additional sub will only add like 20% more volumn. You feel bass not hear it. By adding a 3rd or more you are not really gaining anything but more weight too the boat. And more amps wiring etc.
I would work on making the boxes you have now the right size for the type of music. JL should definitely have recomendations for best box size. Most of the time with hip hop, r&b, and rap a ported box is best. Sealed boxes will give you tighter bass, better for rock. If you port just make sure it is the recommeded size and shape.
I built a custom box for 1 RF power 10", built it to the spec RF provided and it was very very impressive for a single 10.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh1209
I think I've heard somewhere that every additional sub will only add like 20% more volumn. You feel bass not hear it. By adding a 3rd or more you are not really gaining anything but more weight too the boat. And more amps wiring etc.
I would work on making the boxes you have now the right size for the type of music. JL should definitely have recomendations for best box size. Most of the time with hip hop, r&b, and rap a ported box is best. Sealed boxes will give you tighter bass, better for rock. If you port just make sure it is the recommeded size and shape.
I built a custom box for 1 RF power 10", built it to the spec RF provided and it was very very impressive for a single 10.
When you put two subs side by side you get a 6 db increase in sound which is equal to doubling the watts. If you port the boxes you will get a 3 dB increase at the tuned frequency which is usually around 45 Hz but loose below the tuned frequency. I agree with Steve and call JL and see what they suggest. At 1.25 cubic inches you should have plenty of space to build a ported box which will give you more BOOM, for some old school NWA CD's...... Steve you can hear bass down to 20 Hz, below that you can only feel it, but it taks insane power and great subs to hit that low, most bass from rock is in the 40Hz + range, Rap bass is synthisized and can go very, very low. One of my favorite old school rap bass demo songs is "Drop that bass" from DJ Magic Mike. That song will shake the he!! out of everything around you!

Last edited by endeavour32; 04-28-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
When you put two subs side by side you get a 6 db increase in sound which is equal to doubling the watts. If you port the boxes you will get a 3 dB increase at the tuned frequency which is usually around 45 Hz but loose below the tuned frequency. I agree with Steve and call JL and see what they suggest. At 1.25 cubic inches you should have plenty of space to build a ported box which will give you more BOOM, for some old school NWA CD's...... Steve you can hear bass down to 20 Hz, below that you can only feel it, but it taks insane power and great subs to hit that low, most bass from rock is in the 40Hz + range, Rap bass is synthisized and can go very, very low. One of my favorite old school rap bass demo songs is "Drop that bass" from DJ Magic Mike. That song will shake the he!! out of everything around you!
Hey Mike,
If I for another 12w6 I have two questions. Will that jl 500/1 be enough and also when I am in search of the sub should I get in in a 2om or 4om. also in a dual voice coil or one.

Maybe I could leave the front two sealed and the additional rear one ported to try and acommodate the best of all worlds.

Call me when you can. I lost your number.

Thanks,
John
Maybe u can stop up quick to see the mess I have going on. lol....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.