Default Are these heads to big for my combo, Merlin iron 345 CC runners

stock bore 454 LS6 short block
original Gale Banks Mercruiser twin turbo engines
draw thru carburetor
Inter-cooled with waste gates making 15 PSI
7.5 comp ratio
Hydraulic flat tappet cam
about 5200 RPMs

I took the old heads to the machine shop and found out the exhaust seat was cracked and one head needed 2 guides. The heads are 188 castings w/o seat inserts.
I'm looking at Iron Merlin's that have 345 CC runners and wonder if they are a good fit for my combo.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by phughes69
stock bore 454 LS6 short block
original Gale Banks Mercruiser twin turbo engines
draw thru carburetor
Inter-cooled with waste gates making 15 PSI
7.5 comp ratio
Hydraulic flat tappet cam
about 5200 RPMs

I took the old heads to the machine shop and found out the exhaust seat was cracked and one head needed 2 guides. The heads are 188 castings w/o seat inserts.
I'm looking at Iron Merlin's that have 345 CC runners and wonder if they are a good fit for my combo.
as long as you are forceing all that air through their it should be fine..but i think you will be spinning more r's then the target rpm's posted. they will only flow 345cc @ the specific lift of the cam..in other words they will flow 345cc's @ lets say .600 lift..if your cam lift is .550 then they will flow less.

Last edited by FIXX; 04-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to see a pic of that turbo setup. Sounds pretty cool, did not no merc & banks every got together.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Probably a bit lazy until you start making boost. Aluminum may be better for detination.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I would love to do aluminum heads, but it is not in the budget for 2 engines, unless someone can point me in the direction of some that already have inconel exhaust valves.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
as long as you are forceing all that air through their it should be fine..but i think you will be spinning more r's then the target rpm's posted. they will only flow 345cc @ the specific lift of the cam..in other words they will flow 345cc's @ lets say .600 lift..if your cam lift is .550 then they will flow less.
345 is the runner volume in cubic centimeters, not the airflow.
An iron 345 Merlin flows something like 370-380 CFM @ .700 lift. Not an overly impressive cylinder head, but should be fine with the turbo.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turbo's will spool faster with a smaller cc chamber on the exhaust side. Doing the swap will allow you more effiecient hp, but power might come on a little later because now those little turbos would have to FILL those chambers/runners with air/fuel before you got boost. Also, boost is just a measurement of a restriction. Its all about the flow of the motor. If I was you, I'd have someone plug up those exhaust weep holes in the housings and run some external wastegates. The benefits from this will be a less laggy spoolup and adjustable boost.

Make sure you retune the motor after you swap anything! Just because it was spot on at (for arguements sake) 6psi before, that doesn't mean it will be anywhere in the ballpark @ 6psi on a better flowing motor! The carbs are metering for cfm..

Last edited by SINGLETGT; 04-30-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: forgot something