Long tails on stock manifolds? >

Long tails on stock manifolds?

Notices

Long tails on stock manifolds?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Long tails on stock manifolds?

Is it possible to run the long tails on stock exhaust manifolds? I dont know what brand theyre, but are for a TRS setup look like chrome CMI.
Seems like they would bolt up, but theres a nipple for a hose and im not sure where that would go to? Would I just put a fitting in the manifold where theres a plug now and run a short hose to that? Or do I need upgraded manifolds to run them?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Richard
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure it's possible - if you buy ones that bolt up. Whether it's worth doing or not is another issue. What do you want to accomplish? If it's to prevent or deal with reversion issues for as cheap as possible, ehtn maybe. The flip side is that if you're looking for more power, especially if you have a decent engine combo, then running stock manifolds is a sin. Surely you can find a good used set of imco powerflows or stainless marine manifolds along with the risers... Just sayin...
Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered

The boat I have came with the nice long tail risers, but the motors I'm putting in have stock exhaust manifolds and closed cooling.
So its not costing me money to put them on, I just want to know how they will work? My current tall risers on the stock manifolds dont have a water fitting on them, yet the long tails do?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:01 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock manifolds use gaskets between the manifolds and risers and rubber hose connects the riser to the thru hull tips or horns down to the gimble exit. The nipple on the other tips would have a hose to connect it to the water sorce for cooling of the exhaust. Without pictures it's hard to know what you have and are trying to do but if they'll bolt up they'll work but I would somehow connect them to water thru the nipple or else they will get too hot inside the engine coompartment and also the water in the manifolds needs someplace to go. How would you exit the water in the manifolds?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered

I cant post pics...but I should also note the motors came out of a cruiser with a closed cooling system. Not sure how the raw water exited, but I imagine through the manifolds....I know there is a hose below the manifolds that has raw water.

So youre saying I could probably hook them up, if I changed the gasket and maybe installed a bung fitting on the stock manifolds?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
I cant post pics...but I should also note the motors came out of a cruiser with a closed cooling system. Not sure how the raw water exited, but I imagine through the manifolds....I know there is a hose below the manifolds that has raw water.

So youre saying I could probably hook them up, if I changed the gasket and maybe installed a bung fitting on the stock manifolds?
I used to have a set that bolted up to my stock exhaust in my 89 challenger with a modified 454 / 450 hp + - and didn't gain anything but they did look sharp and were dry to the tips. I'm certain there are several sets hanging in some garages/shops. It definately went up a notch in the cool sound factor though but no gains. I did a lot of expermenting with the individual in GR who was building them. I remember they were certainly pretty and loud as hell. Made a lot of friends with spring lake property owners. NOT. lol...

If your serious about it I still have a contact and name of the person who was building them anyway. He may even have some sets laying around however I know he did get out of the SS business some years back.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambocj7

It depends on what you have!! if you have risers from aftermarket risers, they're not going to bolt up to stock manifolds. if you have the mathcing after,market manifolds and they're in good shape, you would run them over stock and depending on whether or not you're going to include the manifolds in your closed cooling side or not, you would either run the raw water throuhg the manifolds and risers ore you would put block offs between the manifolds and risers. it's hard to say without knowing what combination of parts you have to work with...