Notices

Starter issue, 454

Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issue, 454

Hey all, I have a chevy 454 that was cranking normally when I tried it, but it was after I put water to it that the starter clicks, but no cranking at all. The voltage on the battery drops to nothing and it seems like the cable from the battery to the charger is shorting out, as where it connects to the positive post glows and you can hear it shorting. Is this a problem with the starter or something else? Even if it were hydrolocked, wouldn't it at least start to turn over?

James in Zion IL.
'78 Sonic Jet Boat with 454.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Registered

I have also pulled all plugs now (still nogo). This starter is being a real pain...anyone with any tips for pulling the starter? I pulled the solenoid off the starter, as well as the 2 bolts holding the starter on, but it will not budge...are there more than the 2 bolts that I may not be seeing?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The fact your starter is stuck, makes me wonder if the starter drive is stuck in the engaged position. I'd put the two mounting bolts in where a few threads will grab, and whack the starter with a hammer to try and break it free. Threading the bolts in will keep it from crashing down if it pops free. Having someone with a breaker bar working the engine back and forth slowly may help also while you tap on the starter housing.

Sounds like your starter is junk at this point. I'd also be real careful if that battery post is glowing red! Find the short to ground asap.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered

I would clean the posts as well!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I would be sure the ground wire going to the block is clean for sure also
Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Thanks all. I did go through and clean all of the terminals, but I have found that the short is coming from the starter motor itself. I pulled the solenoid and was able to see the conductor running from the solenoid into the motor was pulled back and the wires were hitting the starter motor body.

Was able to get one of the mounting bolts out from the bottom, but the other one closer to the block, I just cant get to with it in place. Was hoping not to, but looks like I'm going to have to lift the motor a little to finish the job. Was hoping to drop in the water this weekend and make a quick run, but maybe next weekend will be nice too...

Thanks again
Old 04-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for a new starter PM me i have one that got dropped and broke the solenoid...it's only cranked a boat over twice...long story....
Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had excellent results with these guys ....

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2232-n...0253-6792.aspx
Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Ditto offthefront. Get the small hi tork starter, it fits a lot better than the original bbc starter and works better too.

BTW, the orginal bbc starter had a bracket on the end to support the weight of the starter in addition to the 2 starter bolts. In case that was causing you issues getting the starter off.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
I've had excellent results with these guys ....

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2232-n...0253-6792.aspx
$50 for a high-torque mini starter ? Geez, thats a super low price. I used one of these (more like $110 for me) to replace the older, larger starter on a 454- the mini high-torque starter worked great, far better than the older direct drive starter. it also saves a few pounds.