Bravo I top cap-small leak >

Bravo I top cap-small leak

Notices

Bravo I top cap-small leak

Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo I top cap-small leak

Just had my clutch cone replaced this winter. Put it all back together, boat shifts fine now in and out of gear with no delays. I noticed a small leak on the top cap on the left side/port side of gear lube. I took off the top cap, the surfaces look fine, I put in a new o-ring seal and it seems I have just the slightest drip after running for like 5-10 minutes in the driveway on the hose. Not sure what else now to do as until this winter and this work, never had a problem. Bolts are torqued down properly, mating surfaces clean, o-ring is brand new and no pinches or tears in it.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Registered

Seems like I got it. Had to crank down a little more than I wanted to on the top bolts but all good.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

Are u sure you didn't have a needle fall out of the upper bearing race and stick flat. You said that you torqued correctly and it leaked, how much tighter did you make it? The only place I can think of for possible clearance issues is inside the upper bearing. Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once the o-ring was compressed on the initial tightening, simply tighening the 4 screws more wouldn't have made it seal any better. That's not how they work. Actually, the o-ring would have sealed just at finger tight. Takes very little to compress that o-ring. When the bolts are tightened, you are mating the surfaces of the cap and housing together to zero clearance. The o-ring squash is determined by the clearance groove, not the torque of the bolts. You didn't make the cap draw down tighter as it couldn't once it was seated, unless there was something holding it up.

Be careful over torqeing those bolts. That's just Al.

Sure the shims were in location? Was the new style clutch/gears used in an old stlye housing/cap? Gotta account for the bearing depth changes.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-01-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered

Will have to dbl check all with my mechanic. I know he said he pulled a shift cone out of another B1 he had, and a clutch fork I think, and a couple of large round flat rings with some roller bearings it looked like on them as mine were a little pitted I guess. Thank You for the advice. Was really concerned about over tightening so I do not want to go any further for sure! All looked fine in the top cap and bearings when I had the top cap off. Put it in the water, everything shifted just fine. Think I should just leave alone now or take it all apart and dbl check it all?

Last edited by baja25sst; 05-02-2011 at 08:01 PM.