Thru Hull Water pickups....where? >

Thru Hull Water pickups....where?

Notices
Formula

Thru Hull Water pickups....where?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thru Hull Water pickups....where?

Well as a continuation of my other questions on the topic......

After spending the weekend in the bilge we have made the final decision to block off the drive pickups and go thru hull and sea strainers.

What has everyone done that has worked? I am a newbie at this crap, and it looks that fix'n the drive pickups would require replacing the whole drive assembly.

So now i need to figure the best place to put the pickups and what to use, and whats the best way to block off the stock pickups. Ill post a pic of the jacked up water pickups when i get my camera off the boat. Its no wonder why the guy before me melted down the old motors.

Any help would be awesome!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered

I don't understand.....you are going to drill holes in your boat to add water pick ups instead of fixing the drive pickups?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered

This is why.... I dont think we are going to be able to fix this correctly without replacing the whole Transom assembly. I AM NOT DOING THAT!

I did buy a set of elbows from hardin marine, but it doesnt look like they are going to do me any good.
http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-5-bra...ter-inlet.aspx

Any ideas im all ears!

Last edited by SlowPlay; 05-03-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered

Call Eric at Teague. They have all the hardware/parts you need and can likely give you the info on how/what to use. Most race boats use transom pickups, so they are used to this kind of thing.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Registered

thanks dyno.....

phone call made.... parts on the way! Eric is GREAT to work with!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you fix the transom? Or go thru hull? That happened to me 2x. Well, 16 years apart. But it's a bad design.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just went thru this repair on my 400ss with 502 MPI's. It is a pain in the ass but very fixable for less than $100 in parts per side. I spent more money buying special tools that didn't work trying to extract that collapsed plastic fitting than the actual parts from Merc. Hardest part is getting that collapsed fitting out at the transom followed by getting the new one back into the new hose. Don't have to replace the transom assembly. With that said I do think the design SUCKS and would prefer a thru hull with strainer but I wasn't going to be the pioneer to figure out where to put a pick up on the stepped hull and risk aerated water to the engine. Looks like this thread started awhile ago but if you still need to fix the collapsed hose pm me and I can tell you all the tricks I learned doing mine.......save you some of the wasted time I spent messing with it.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowPlay
This is why.... I dont think we are going to be able to fix this correctly without replacing the whole Transom assembly. I AM NOT DOING THAT!

I did buy a set of elbows from hardin marine, but it doesnt look like they are going to do me any good.
http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-5-bra...ter-inlet.aspx

Any ideas im all ears!
that doesnt look that bad ive done many much worse .once you remove the insert the jobs not bad .also what are your plans on cooling the drive ?? once you cap that off and pick water up from the bottom of hull you have no circ to cool the drive oil
Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 PM

to cool the drive oil you just leave the hose off the bell housing and let the water dump out of the hole where the hose went (out side the transom)