2 Warning Beeps on 496ho??? >

2 Warning Beeps on 496ho???

Notices

2 Warning Beeps on 496ho???

Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Warning Beeps on 496ho???

I plan on having someone run the codes, but I thought I would ask here first. While running the boat this past weekend at Havasu, the boat would emit 2 beeps intermittenly. I initially thought it was drive lube so I topped it off (was still above the ADD line, but was under the Operating Range line). I then thought it may have been oil pressure b/c after a long WOT run, the pressure would drop to around the 10 psi mark (hard to tell the exact numbers on my gauge). But even when starting after 3-4 hours of not running the pressure was back up to around the 40psi mark but the 2 beeps came back.

To keep it in perspective, we ran the boat all day Friday and Saturday and the series of beeps happened around 9-10 times. Everything seemed fine from my vantage point oil pressure and level, temp, drive lube, etc. Does anyone have any insight on this or has had this happen?

Btw, the boat seemed to run just as strong as it did the last few times I have taken it out, just curious about the beeps!

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz
I plan on having someone run the codes, but I thought I would ask here first. While running the boat this past weekend at Havasu, the boat would emit 2 beeps intermittenly. I initially thought it was drive lube so I topped it off (was still above the ADD line, but was under the Operating Range line). I then thought it may have been oil pressure b/c after a long WOT run, the pressure would drop to around the 10 psi mark (hard to tell the exact numbers on my gauge). But even when starting after 3-4 hours of not running the pressure was back up to around the 40psi mark but the 2 beeps came back.

To keep it in perspective, we ran the boat all day Friday and Saturday and the series of beeps happened around 9-10 times. Everything seemed fine from my vantage point oil pressure and level, temp, drive lube, etc. Does anyone have any insight on this or has had this happen?

Btw, the boat seemed to run just as strong as it did the last few times I have taken it out, just curious about the beeps!

Thanks!
There are a lot of conditions that will trip the engine alarm.

What absolutely baffles me is when people run their engine with an alarm for hours; let alone days.

The fact that it didn't break down on you all that time suggests that it's probably nothing very serious but I don't think it's safe to trust your boat gauges and "carry on".

If the engine never went into guardian mode then you can most likely rule out: exhaust temp, coolant temp, oil pressure & drive oil.

It will only be speculation until you talk to the box.

Last edited by SDFever; 05-04-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered

If it only beeped at idle you could be down on water pressure with extra heat after a run..

The water pressure sensor could have seen a slight drop and came back up etc...

Grab a scanner & good luck!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I thought gear oil, water temp, and oil pressure produced a steady (solid beep) alarm.

SDfever is right, stop guessing and get it scanned.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

More than likely you sucked up some garbage in your drive and you have a blocked heat exchanger or passage.

We went through this last year, we ended up with too much water pressure and it set off the alarm. The boat never over heated and ran great, but kept getting the alarm untill we figured it out. They cleaned out the hose first, then the cooler etc... There was almost a dixie cup full of junk by the time it was all said and done. (For us, as soon as it came on plane the buzzer went off, so we had a couple of attempts before we figured it out completely.)

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 things that can cause it on the 496 are a bad idle air control and a bad water pressure sensor. And there may not be any codes set (stupid computer). You need a scanner that can look at the values (Rinda program). If the water pressure reads any at all with the engine off, key on, then you have a bad sensor. If the idle counts are at like 99 with the engine warmed up and running, bad idle air control. If you can't get a good scanner, those are the first things to swap.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ted G
2 things that can cause it on the 496 are a bad idle air control and a bad water pressure sensor. And there may not be any codes set (stupid computer). You need a scanner that can look at the values (Rinda program). If the water pressure reads any at all with the engine off, key on, then you have a bad sensor. If the idle counts are at like 99 with the engine warmed up and running, bad idle air control. If you can't get a good scanner, those are the first things to swap.
Actually, once going on plane, the idle counts stay at 98 to 99 the whole time and this is normal.

If it was the IAC, then he would have been in guardian mode at or above trying to reach 4000 rpm. 4000 is the cap with a bad IAC. That's the sofware limitation.

This is why internet diagnostics is not a real good idea. Get a scanner.

Last edited by SDFever; 05-04-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered

For further clarification, the digital water pressure sensor can and often times will read less than 1 LB (variable) with key on, engine off.

It's also common to see it flucuate with those same parameters.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDFever
Actually, once going on plane, the idle counts stay at 98 to 99 the whole time and this is normal.

If it was the IAC, then he would have been in guardian mode at or above trying to reach 4000 rpm. 4000 is the cap with a bad IAC. That's the sofware limitation.

This is why internet diagnostics is not a real good idea. Get a scanner.
Well as we can see from the charts below, idle output will give 2 beeps and only limit power to 90%, so it will not be in Guardian Mode nor will it be limited to 4000 rpm. Also idle counts would be monitored at idle, when warm, so 99 would be bad. So discussing what is seen on plane is immaterial.

Originally Posted by SDFever
For further clarification, the digital water pressure sensor can and often times will read less than 1 LB (variable) with key on, engine off.

It's also common to see it flucuate with those same parameters.

What you will see in many cases (guess you haven't) is the pressure showing approx. 40 psi with the engine Off, Key on. this will NOT set a code and will set a 2 beep and 90% power, once again, no Guardian mode.

What I was trying to help with (not diagnose) was the next post that he was going to make saying, we scanned it and there were no codes, now what? Check the idle counts at idle, warm. Also check water pressures to see if they change and are reasonable when the engine is running and not.
Attached Thumbnails 2 Warning Beeps on 496ho???-merccodes1.jpg   2 Warning Beeps on 496ho???-merccodes2.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well as we can see from the charts below, idle output will give 2 beeps and only limit power to 90%, so it will not be in Guardian Mode nor will it be limited to 4000 rpm. Also idle counts would be monitored at idle, when warm, so 99 would be bad. So discussing what is seen on plane is immaterial.

What you will see in many cases (guess you haven't) is the pressure showing approx. 40 psi with the engine Off, Key on. this will NOT set a code and will set a 2 beep and 90% power, once again, no Guardian mode.

What I was trying to help with (not diagnose) was the next post that he was going to make saying, we scanned it and there were no codes, now what? Check the idle counts at idle, warm. Also check water pressures to see if they change and are reasonable when the engine is running and not.
had the same problem last summer beeping every now and then but still ran great .ended up being the iac motor as you said .they were on national back order then .a dealer on ebay had new 1s listed and i bought both prob solved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.