Notices

Oil Thermostat

Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Thermostat

I have a quick Oil - Tstat question. Where is the dang thing located, where can I order one and how do you get to it to change it?

I have a 97 35 Fountain with stock Carb'd HP500s I picked up last fall. My oil temp will rise without signs of slowing down unless I get out of the throttle on sustained runs. At one point I saw 300 before backing off. My set up is like the one below (I borrowed this pic from one of the many posts I have read on the topic - Thank you to the photographer).
I have switched to Wix Racing Filters and Brad Penn 20-50 oil, checked for debri (didn't find any) and am in the process of replacing the impellers. Ordered new impellers and housings from CP. Pulled the old ones and they looked to be in good shape.

I understand the importance of getting oil temps above 212 and would like to see no more than 260-270 on WOT runs.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by 1980Condor460; 05-04-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Added Thank you for the help!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the tip. Is there a "best way" to do it?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The thermostat is on the other side of the remote filter pad. It's kinda recessed with a snap ring holding in a cap. Just pop it off, pull out the cap and the spring, and the thermostat is the last thing to pull out. You can test it by heating it up and see if it expands.

you can replace it for about $30..... cheap.