Subwoofer box Dynamat lining

Notices

Subwoofer box Dynamat lining

Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Subwoofer box Dynamat lining

Installed a sub in a storage compartment that is a sealed FG enclosure, figured that would be better than used as a free air sub.
The storage door/frame was removed and replaced by an Delrin panel to mount the sub in. So far it sounds great, but it has been suggested to line the storage compartment with 1/2" Dynamat to give the box a more solid base. I don't have any rattles what so ever, just curious if it will help or render my use before ordering it. BTW, the compartment is approx 1 1/2 cu' ft, so size is good.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Installed a sub in a storage compartment that is a sealed FG enclosure, figured that would be better than used as a free air sub.
The storage door/frame was removed and replaced by an Delrin panel to mount the sub in. So far it sounds great, but it has been suggested to line the storage compartment with 1/2" Dynamat to give the box a more solid base. I don't have any rattles what so ever, just curious if it will help or render my use before ordering it. BTW, the compartment is approx 1 1/2 cu' ft, so size is good.

Thanks
Jerry,

If you really want this right give me a call and we can go over some things. Way to much to type.

BTW

As for the size, EVERY driver is design for a particular application you can not use a blanket statement that 1.5 cubic ft is good, I have a few subs that would be to big, and some that it would be to small.
That is why Infinity came up with a variable Q sub a few years back.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Phil, JL specs this sub as a free air, or if used in a sealed box, 1 1/4 cu.ft. min, 2 cu.ft. or larger optimum. Since it falls within the guidelines, but less less than optimum, I'll have to be content with it as is. I need someone withaudio knowledge and ears to get it all tweaked now. I have neither of those aspects. Come down and dial this thing in for me! Or I guess a phone call might have to do. Not sure how well you can hear it and tell me what to turn by listening over the phone will do.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-05-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Phil, JL specs this sub as a free air, or if used in a sealed box, 1 1/4 cu.ft. min, 2 cu.ft. or larger optimum. Since it falls within the guidelines, but less less than optimum, I'll have to be content with it as is. I need someone withaudio knowledge and ears to get it all tweaked now. I have neither of those aspects. Come down and dial this thing in for me! Or I guess a phone call might have to do. Not sure how well you can hear it and tell me what to turn by listening over the phone will do.
What JL sub is it? I've used the dynomat for many different uses especially on some of my old muscle cars with and with out sub/amp systems. Works well for many purposes and keeps the vibes down but never really used it for use inside a sub box. I just installed my 12w6's in a 1.25 sealed boxes. Gonna put the third in the back seat area but going to port that one in a 1.5 box.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

10" marine free air
Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

That's funny Shi* Jerry.

I have a feeling I'll get to Bob's in time. I use more then ears, tend to also use a RTA and Mics. If I could get time I wouldn't mind coming down, I here we don't even have to walk "Down" to the dock right now!
I'll have to check with the boss, think she would wonder why I am putting mics and measurement equipment in the car for a nice Sunday drive?

Did JL show the open air response in a sealed box of that size?

Anyway, if you have no rattles, don't bother with the dynamatt, works great for that (all my truck doors have it) but some fiber fill will help. It cuts down on the back waves, they make stuff just for it, or fiberglass can work.