My Header dilema continues >

My Header dilema continues

Notices

My Header dilema continues

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Header dilema continues

I am really struggling with the fact of buying these used headers (cmi big tubes)for my new motors, they come off of the boat I have bought and supposedly only have approx 150 hours of use. He will let me take them and have them checked and if I'm not happy will refund me my money, It will probably be the difference in boating this year or not. I am already on a tight budget for this project. What do you guys think? I'll post some pixs if I figure how to.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the delima? The cost of the headers or testing them? You can test them yourself and save a little money. Pretty simple process with a water hose ,35-50 psi of water, there should not be more than that in them with the engine running full out. Hook the water hose to the pipe on the bottom (water hose fits inside the 1 inch hose, attach with hose clamp) plug off other ends of bottom pipe then put a short piece of hose on the top of the header (were the u shaped hose dumps into the tail pipes) and installed a 3/4 water spicket in the end of the hose then stand the header upright opened the upper spicket, turned on the water and let it run until all the air is pushed out the top spicket, then shut the top spicket and let it build pressure then checked inside for leaks. Let it sit with pressure for 1/2 hr or so.

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 05-05-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Registered

Pressure checking it is the easy part, I guess the part that gets me is the fear of everybody I talk to saying steer clear of used headers, then there are some who would have no issue with used headers as long as they pressure checked them. Is there a life expectancy on these things, these particular headers have been sitting for 10-12 years, they are the big tube with the two piece flange. Would you feel comfortable with them after you tested them? He wants 3k for both sets and tailpipes.

Last edited by Duck Diggler; 05-05-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look at it like this if they don't leak they are good. I check mine every year. I have had newer headers spring a leak too. If you don't feel comfy with headers go with some manifolds thay have less problems than headers but less bling.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Registered

Trying to post a pix

Last edited by Duck Diggler; 05-05-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: post a pix
Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Registered

Old 05-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Registered

Smile

I gotta agree with you. I really like these a. Because the price is right and b. They already fit the boat. Price includes tailpipes and everything.They could test good today and go bad tomorrow, so could new ones. New stainless marines will cost me about 6200. These would be half of that and I could still get the bling.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,812 Likes on 902 Posts

Those are CMI Split Tubes. Do the tails come with them???? If not, then you will have a hard time finding some tails.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Registered

They come with everything, they were on the boat I bought. He's just selling them seperately.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

You are thinking too much..buy them..test them, install them, run them! problem solved!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.