Scorpion rocker clatter >

Scorpion rocker clatter

Notices

Scorpion rocker clatter

Old 05-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scorpion rocker clatter

I just installed scorpion rockers and morel lifters on a bob m cam.

I can hear a little clatter with head in engine bay 2 feet away.

We did adjust while running..

Any recommendations, maybe a little more then 1/4 turn after noise goes away
Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered

I have to put 1 full turn after zero lash on my morel lifters to quiet them. Anything less I get noise.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Registered

Blue: 1turn while adjusting running or not running
Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered

Not running. You spin each pushrod in your fingertips and tighten the rocker until slight resistance in the pushrod is felt. This is zero lash. Then go 1 full turn after that point.
Every lifter I ever set up was happy with 1/2-5/8 turn after zero lash but for some reason the morels insist on one full turn or else they are noisey. I have also had crappy rockers before that were noisey no matter what you did with the lifter preload.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Not running. You spin each pushrod in your fingertips and tighten the rocker until slight resistance in the pushrod is felt. This is zero lash. Then go 1 full turn after that point.
Every lifter I ever set up was happy with 1/2-5/8 turn after zero lash but for some reason the morels insist on one full turn or else they are noisey. I have also had crappy rockers before that were noisey no matter what you did with the lifter preload.
I learned the same thing with Morel lifters.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Registered

Make sure you don't apply too much preload, or the result will be premature camshaft wear and lifter damage. Check on the lifter manufacturers Recommended preload.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Registered

Ok guys appreciated, I was worried about the lifters loosing pressure and collapsing, is there a way to prevent this or it shouldnt be a problem.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Just to share a little technical knowledge here. On most standard big block rocker arm valve trains each full turn down on fine thread rocker studs will compress the lifter plunger body about .040". Most hydraulic roller lifters and most hydraulic lifters have about .120" to .160" plunger travel machined into them. Pre-loading (compressing) the lifter plunger body will take about .030" to .050" to properly float the plunger and still have enough travel to handle valves and valve train energy and operation. Using to little pre-load will cause a noisier valve train and can actually cause possible lifter damage and excessive wear at high rpms when the lifter and valve train pieces can snap back and forth between the camshaft lobe and the and valve stem tip. For the same reasons to much pre-load can limit the travel of the lifter plunger to a point where some of the same damage can occur as well as possible uncontrolled valve action at high rpms.
I have always used the 3/4 -1 turn after REAL zero lash as a good safe point and most adjustments between 3/4 turn and 1.5 turns seem to work just fine.
Having said this though with a specialized lifter like Morel, you should follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Registered

Appreciate it Ray... In order to keep lifters pressured up should i take spark plugs out and crank a little to get oil psi up
Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered

No, you will be able to feel zero lash. Particularly if the lifters have previously been run. New unpumped needs a lighter feel for just when the plunger starts to get loaded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.