Notices

sierra or mercruiser

Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sierra or mercruiser

Yesterday I stopped into a warehouse to pick up a water pump housing for my boat. The guy grabbed a Sierra unit. I told him I prefer Mercruiser parts. Thats when he invited me into the backroom to show me something. The Sierra waterpumps are shipped in a large cardboard box that contains about a dozen Sierra water pumps that are prepackaged and ready for sale to the consumer. On one end of this cardboard box is a Sierra label and part number. On the other covered over by a piece of brown packing tape is a Mercruiser label and part number. From what I understand these pumps come of the same assembly line. They also have the same part number. Im thinking maybe they are the exact same part. I wonder how many Sierra parts are the exact same as a Mercruiser part with a only a different label. Im sure this is no big secret.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Default smoke & mirrors

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Yesterday I stopped into a warehouse to pick up a water pump housing for my boat. The guy grabbed a Sierra unit. I told him I prefer Mercruiser parts. Thats when he invited me into the backroom to show me something. The Sierra waterpumps are shipped in a large cardboard box that contains about a dozen Sierra water pumps that are prepackaged and ready for sale to the consumer. On one end of this cardboard box is a Sierra label and part number. On the other covered over by a piece of brown packing tape is a Mercruiser label and part number. From what I understand these pumps come of the same assembly line. They also have the same part number. Im thinking maybe they are the exact same part. I wonder how many Sierra parts are the exact same as a Mercruiser part with a only a different label. Im sure this is no big secret.
And they don't even bother using seperate boxes...
Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
Its just like anything else. People will charge more and pay more of the name brand part. When in most cases a few manufactures make the majority of parts. Its just like off brand catchup or anything else. Sierra charges less because they dont have to pay advertisting like Merc does and MERC can get more money just because it says merc on it.
Just like lifters. Ask Bob, there is only 2 manufactures of lifters. They then get put in different boxes.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Just like lifters. Ask Bob, there is only 2 manufactures of lifters. They then get put in different boxes.
but theres a difference in the pieces/parts spec's

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 178 Posts

Same as Quicksliver HP gear oil and Merc HP gear oil 90 weight. $17.00 for Merc $10.00 Quicksliver.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told that Sierra doesn't make them either.Sean at Aftermarket Marine found out who was manufaturing them for Merc/Sierra.He sells them ,cuts out the middle man.

Hey next time give Sean at Aftermarket Marine a call he'll save ya some money,He's a member here
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/m.../amarket1.html

http://www.amarket.com/

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Registered

Wasn't always true. Back around 2003 I tried Sierra and every housing cracked. My wife works in service/parts for a boat shop and they had the same problem. Had to go to Merc.

According to her, Sierra/Merc is the same now. But she thinks the Mallory is a better part and uses them (so far I've only used Merc in my 575SCi's since I still have a couple of seasons worth on my shelf).

Pesky Varmint