502 re-power options >

502 re-power options

Notices

502 re-power options

Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 re-power options

I'm looking to repower from a 1992 gen 5, 502 mag. 400 to 500 hp. is enough. Bravo 1 drive.
Options
- New GM Marine 502 (8.2) long block
new GM marine supercharged LS motor (aluminum?)
Mercruiser remanufactured 8.2
New or used hot rod motor
Rebuild my motor
other options?

What do you all think?

Thanks
Eric
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

powering my boat now. Your cheapest would be to rebuild yours for around 5-6k, should be able to get 500hp out of that no sweat. I was going to buy new crate motor but decided to have a new set of 509's built 500hp balanced and blueprinted for a little less than 18k complete. I'm getting a smoking deal. The one's I'm having built are cheaper than the factory 502/450 crate motors, it seems the price jumps big when you want to go 500hp or better.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered

Alot depends on budget, do you want to work on it?, do you want a warranty? Do you want plug and play engine change? Is your ultimate goal more power or fresh stock power? Lots of options. Narrow your decision down to what you would like to achieve vs budget on the repower. It will make deciding what to do easy. Lots of great info here
Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Registered

i think the more pertinent question is " what are you trying o accomplish ?" is this extra 100 hp meaningful to you in some way or is it just to give you a bigger bulge in your pants. boat not fast enough ? or is it a more is better deal ? first rule of engineering... " when you change anything you change everything. " right now, maybe you have a boat you like. it runs good, handles good, no big issues. if you take that 502 mag and its injected and you rebuild it nicely with some decent rockers and good rings and a fraction more compression ratio you are at 450 without breaking a sweat and the induction and outdrive and props and everyother god damned thing will be the same. and it will run for 500 hours. if you reinvent things for that extra 50 hp ( which isn't a big deal) the down side is that the cost per hp escalatesspretty substantially for no significant gain and if its injected, then now you arelooking at one of these " tuner" jobs on the ecu which will keep you screwed up for most of a season. if i were you and it has a carb then i would drop a 540 rotationg assy in there and do nothing more. ... best bang for the buck. if it was injected, i would still do the 540 but have a set of pistons made by weisco that would use the std bore and keep the cr at 8.5 and run the injection stock. the map is fat enough stock to do that all day.

on the other hand if this is just a " mine is bigger than yours" ego thing then there are plenty of ways to make big power and keep you off the water all year out there.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Call RMbuilder he can set you up with a custom roller that will get you 500HP. You will need cam, lifters, springs, chain, exhaust with long riser, bigger oil cooler, intake, carb and a few more things. Get out your wallet, its not as easy as you think. Or you could leave it stock and spend your money on gas and beer.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
i think the more pertinent question is " what are you trying o accomplish ?" is this extra 100 hp meaningful to you in some way or is it just to give you a bigger bulge in your pants. boat not fast enough ? or is it a more is better deal ? first rule of engineering... " when you change anything you change everything. " right now, maybe you have a boat you like. it runs good, handles good, no big issues. if you take that 502 mag and its injected and you rebuild it nicely with some decent rockers and good rings and a fraction more compression ratio you are at 450 without breaking a sweat and the induction and outdrive and props and everyother god damned thing will be the same. and it will run for 500 hours. if you reinvent things for that extra 50 hp ( which isn't a big deal) the down side is that the cost per hp escalatesspretty substantially for no significant gain and if its injected, then now you arelooking at one of these " tuner" jobs on the ecu which will keep you screwed up for most of a season. if i were you and it has a carb then i would drop a 540 rotationg assy in there and do nothing more. ... best bang for the buck. if it was injected, i would still do the 540 but have a set of pistons made by weisco that would use the std bore and keep the cr at 8.5 and run the injection stock. the map is fat enough stock to do that all day.

on the other hand if this is just a " mine is bigger than yours" ego thing then there are plenty of ways to make big power and keep you off the water all year out there.

Wow.....I do it because I like to go fast