Water in Engine oil Please help >

Water in Engine oil Please help

Notices

Water in Engine oil Please help

Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in Engine oil Please help

I just rebuilt my 454, with 781 heads which were magnafluxed, bob m cam , stainless marine exhaust, a .027 steel head gasket, long story short i got it all tuned up and runs great all around.. took it out for 5 hours then i pulled valve cover to do valve adjustment and i had whip cream, i trained the oil and it looked like green snot, so i took off intake manifold bc my old man forgot to put rtv sealant around water ports, changed oil and filter, so we did that and let it sit overnight to dry, then i ran it yesterday for 6 hours non stop, ran like a bat out of hell, came home now oil on dipstick still is milky. I do not run a thermastat, bc my old edlebroc manifold didnt have one for years, im now running the performer airgap manifold wo one as well, water temp around 110-125 I need to install oil temp gauge.. I wondering if cold water could be issue? or any other ideas? Before i rebuilt motor ran fine..... The oil cooler could have taken a **** as well?? But wtf worked before rebuild...

Reversion??
blown head gasket?

Just installed 140 degree thermostat today, ran it for ten minutes on trailer and got it up to max 160.. So deffently keeping water alot hotter
Old 05-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it the same under both valve covers. If u are seeing it in oil it is not condesation. What kind of headers? Leak down test may help. Good luck sorry to hear about your problem.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Also, is your dipstick showing a higher then it was after it was changed?

i usually change the oil several times if theirs ever any trace of water in it..you will need to get the engine temps up to at least 160* to burn the moisture out of the oil..
Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

It was about 1/2 quart to a quart over full, but i did do a oil change before going out, but deffently signs of water on dipstick and under both valve covers...

I am going to pressure test oil cooler, and exhaust manifolds, but exhaust was fine before rebuild,

A leaky exhaust manifold gasket do anything?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

If I run the boat on the trailer and then remove the risers and look for water in manifold, is this the best way to check for reversion?? Bc when I took out boat in neutral I idled at 800rpm but later in day boat was stalling under load when
Just put in gear!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

I had similar problem a few years ago, I removed riser and found "under gasket" a small rust spot that allowed water into motor. I was told before buying boat that risers and manifolds were new. It was BS. And the dealership replaced at thier expense.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pantera232
If I run the boat on the trailer and then remove the risers and look for water in manifold, is this the best way to check for reversion?? Bc when I took out boat in neutral I idled at 800rpm but later in day boat was stalling under load when
Just put in gear!
Check to see if there is water on the plugs. If you were getting that much water as you described you would have hydro locked the motor or you are extremely lucky.
You said your oil level went up after running. That's a head gasket. Do a comp test if all good look at cooler.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered

With 110 water temps, your gonna have a hard time getting the moisture out. Need to see 200 degree oil temps.

last spring I lost an intake gasket, and I did not get the mosture cleaned out, till I changed the oil about 5 times, and got the motor hot (170 water, and 212 oil)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

If you gained 1/2 quarts you have a leak. Oil will not rise from reversion. Plus a Bob M. custom cam will not revert water.

You said 781 heads, are they new to this rebuild?

What Gen of block do you have, that you bolted the 781 to?

What head gasket did you use?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that if your going up on the stick you have intrusion somewhere. If you started high on the stick....I have seen it take a couple oil changes to ge the water out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.