Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
epoxy, gel, fiberglass removel from old tabs? >

epoxy, gel, fiberglass removel from old tabs?

Notices

epoxy, gel, fiberglass removel from old tabs?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts
Default epoxy, gel, fiberglass removel from old tabs?

I bought a set of KK 280 trim tabs last year in pretty decent shape however when they were removed from the boat prior to me getting them I noticed all of the above is stuck pretty good on the mounting surface. Any good way to remove such material. The only way I see to do it is being real careful with a disc grinder to get the majority off and then maybe just switch to a sanding block so I don't gouge the surface.
Thanks,
John
Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same situation on a set of tabs I bought. I used a fine wire wheel on an electric drill. It worked great. It removed al the junk but didn't harm the tab surface at all. Make sure you prime it with the zinc primer and then a good couple of coats of black enamel. Mine look like new. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Osageparty
I had the same situation on a set of tabs I bought. I used a fine wire wheel on an electric drill. It worked great. It removed al the junk but didn't harm the tab surface at all. Make sure you prime it with the zinc primer and then a good couple of coats of black enamel. Mine look like new. Hope this helps.
I'll give that a try. Also just thought of those little gasket removel pads that screw onto a pad used with an air grinder. I typically use them on intakes and heads to remove old gasket and glue remains. They cut fast without harming anything else. Will try the wire wheel first. It's amazing how well the epoxy bonds those to a boat hull. There is literally sections of gel as well as fiberglass that is stuck to these. I think if I ever were to remove a set that has been on for a while I would use a piano string.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

if they are big globs, try putting a flat head screwdriver on the glob and giving it a whack. it its a good smooth paint finish under it, it wont have much tooth for the glob to adhear too.