Notices

RPM question on the hose

Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 4,293 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Default RPM question on the hose

How fast can I run the motors on the hose? I was hoping to check a few things at about 3000rpm without having to go to the local river ramp.
It would only be for a 10-20 sec or so, not sure if the hose would have enough flow??
Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Merc had a service bulliten out several years ago recommending about 1,200 RPM and not too much water pressure when running on a set of muffs. This was to prevent reversion. The problem I see with a lot of RPM in neutral is if there is enough lubrication in the upper part of the drive. Remember, the input shaft of the drive is always spinning with the motor running. With the drive out of gear, is there enough oil splash to lubricate the top end of the drive? I've always wondered this when I hear guiys revving their motors in neutral on the lake.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't like going above 1500.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you remove the seapump intake hose from the transom and shove the garden hose down it, you have rev as high as you like. That's how I set all in timing on my engines which is to about 3500rpm.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've rapped mine several times no problems. Hose pressure on full. Hose isn't a cheapy that will suck flat if pulling too much. Not sure I buy the too much city watar pressure. Your seawater pump won't let any more past it than it can pull and any access will just blow past the muffs. Your drive is always getting oil regardless if in water or out, in gear or out. It just won't have a load on it in N.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 4,293 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Smile

I wanted to see if the rpm gauge was off, went up to 1500rpm and yes its about 300 off. So my motors are in sync. the gauge is off
Old 05-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Dan, the tachs will have a selector on the back of them. It should be labeled 4-6-8. Obviously they need to be on 8 for a 8 cylinder. Be sure it is, and move it back and forth between all positions several times, before replacing the tach. It could just be a dirty connection inside the tach.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
If you remove the seapump intake hose from the transom and shove the garden hose down it, you have rev as high as you like. That's how I set all in timing on my engines which is to about 3500rpm.
I do the same thing. Although I've broke in several cams with the muffs and full advance timing and never had a problem either. I just like the garden hose shoved in the intake hose so I have no worries about muffs falling off or anything especially when alone and having a lot going on at one time.