Maybe a dumb question but hey? >

Maybe a dumb question but hey?

Notices

Maybe a dumb question but hey?

Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe a dumb question but hey?

I want to hear the proper throttle/trim control when getting up on plane and achieving top speed. I am no idiot (I hope) but I want to make sure I am getting the most out of my boat and not doing things wrong. I normally trim all the way down, throttle up, once on plane throttle down to match RPM/speed, then throttle more and start to trim up until the boat starts to porpoise or run out of trim. Question is should I be slowly adding throttle, maybe I am to quick to throttle up and creating more cavitation?? Just want to hear some tips or proper technique from you guys.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's part personal preference and part set-up. Some boats with deep drives and mild props can do it slowly. Others with high x-dimensions and very aggressive props need more rpms to break free - in those instances cavitation is actually desirable.

But know that the manner in which you come out of the hole and get on plane can greatly effect the lifespan of your drives. High-torque holeshots are a quick way to blow something up.

Personally, I tend to baby my stuff so I like to throttle up slowly and wait. Drives tucked all the way in/down, tabs neutral (parallel with the hull), and I slowly throttle to about 3,000-3,200 rpms. Once up on plane, I'll adjust throttle back down a bit to my desired speed and begin to trim up to achieve a good running attitude for my chosen speed and water conditions.

Slamming the throttles forward can be very stressful on your drivetrain.

Watch this video. What you see happening at just after the 2 minute mark...don't do that.
[youtube]XPEAaLr0WKI[/youtube]

Last edited by CigDaze; 05-19-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

CigDaze gives good advice. I see a supercharger in your avatar. Assuming that's your engine compartment, I'd heartily second what he said.

I run Vortech's on 500 efi's with IMCO Extreme SC shorties on the back. My boat will take off like a rocket, but sometimes slow and steady wins the race. I tuck the drives all the way in, tabs all the way down (a little different than what CigDaze described), and throttle as little as possible to come up on plane. When the props stop cavitating and begin to grab, I slowly roll the throttle and start pulling the tabs and drives up. If you're running pretty big power, you should look into mechanical tab and drive indicators. Once you know where your boat likes to run, you can go straight to it and forego the porpoising.

Three things break drives... too much throttle out of hole, jumping wakes, and hitting crap. You can somewhat control two of these.

Last edited by chewymalone; 05-19-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, kinda what I thought but I would rather ask a "newbie" question then pay for a "newbie" mistake. I have been boating for years but never had anything with big power, while its very fun, it now is becoming a addictive disease thats asking for a bigger, faster, more expensive boat.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Drives in ,tabs down and ease into it ,short boat 28 ft twin so the tabs help lift the stern until i am on the plain works best for me .
Old 05-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by CigDaze
It's part personal preference and part set-up. Some boats with deep drives and mild props can do it slowly. Others with high x-dimensions and very aggressive props need more rpms to break free - in those instances cavitation is actually desirable.

But know that the manner in which you come out of the hole and get on plane can greatly effect the lifespan of your drives. High-torque holeshots are a quick way to blow something up.

Personally, I tend to baby my stuff so I like to throttle up slowly and wait. Drives tucked all the way in/down, tabs neutral (parallel with the hull), and I slowly throttle to about 3,000-3,200 rpms. Once up on plane, I'll adjust throttle back down a bit to my desired speed and begin to trim up to achieve a good running attitude for my chosen speed and water conditions.

Slamming the throttles forward can be very stressful on your drivetrain.

Watch this video. What you see happening at just after the 2 minute mark...don't do that.
XPEAaLr0WKI
1600 hp and a full throttle take off im suprised she didnt leave the drives in the water
Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

What a dumb ass!
I would be pissed.
That is why you don't let anyone drive your boat, unless they are part owner.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
1600 hp and a full throttle take off im suprised she didnt leave the drives in the water
Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance

What a dumb ass!
I would be pissed.
That is why you don't let anyone drive your boat, unless they are part owner.
Ya, no kidding!!! Is that just friggin stupid or what???
Old 05-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I know everybody says not to hole shot a bravo style drive...but with the tall propping on my cat I have no choice but to put the stick all the way forward.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the HAT! That would have been too funny if she hadda popped a drive on his million dollar boat? Where was he getting his numbers from? Blo hard! Anyway every boat is going to trim out different depending on load, water conditions, power etc. It's all feel and drivin by the seat of your pants IMO. And the hole shots are deffinately BAD for Bravos!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.