Notices

Bravo Transom Seal

Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bravo Transom Seal

Has anyone ever changed one? I had a transom leak last year, changed the Gimbal ring/swivel pin, while it was apart I changed all the Bellows as well.

I still have a very, very small leak [more like a "weap"] nothing major, but, I would like the boat TOTALLY water tight, I have narrowed down the problem to the transom seal, I have the seal and adhesives now.

How hard is it to change? Does engine have to come out? any tips/idea's? I contacted a few local marina's, but, being late May most of them are SO busy they couldn't even look at it for a month and I dont want to lose 1/2 the summer waiting for it to get fixed, if its a "nitemare" I will probably just live with it and have it fixed over the winter

Any input appreciated
Thanks!

Michael
Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you will have to remove the engine. After that it is pretty straight forward.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to have my whole transom assembly replaced last spring, started as a bellows job until the guy doing it realized at some point in time the u-joints blew apart and took out all but about a 1/4" of the ring the drive shaft bellow clamps to... Anyways, he and another guy came back the following weekend, lifted the motor out, unbolted trans ass. cleaned around the hole, and had it put back together and ready for boating in about 3-3.5 hours. I was amazed as I've never seen it done before. I figured if it was me doing it, I wouldn't even have had the motor out by the time they were backing out of my driveway, HA!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered

Default Fixx

poke the wood around the transon for soft or rottin wood., uncommon for them to leak unless your in salt water..Their may even be a hole rotted through it..
Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
poke the wood around the transon for soft or rottin wood., uncommon for them to leak unless your in salt water..Their may even be a hole rotted through it..
I agree.

Might have a soft transom that is flexing and allowing water to come in.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Registered

Transom is rock solid, had it checked last year, the boat WAS previously used in salt water, Thankfully with closed loop cooling [-:

Michael
Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Hey Michael guess what......mine does the very same thing. I'm havin trouble finding the leak but I'm leaning toward the steering assembly. Sucks havin a boat that leaks!