No power steering function. >

No power steering function.

Notices

No power steering function.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No power steering function.

I have no power steering function. The pump is full of fluid and making no noise while the engine is running. Steering effort is the same with or without engine running...no leaks.

How do I determine if my problem is the pump or steering ram?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have pressure at the ram its the ram, and not the pump.

I doubt it is the ram, about the only thing that can go wrong with that is the seals, and if they were bad you would have a mess.

Have you checked the steering cable from the helm?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rexcramer1
If you have pressure at the ram its the ram, and not the pump.

I doubt it is the ram, about the only thing that can go wrong with that is the seals, and if they were bad you would have a mess.

Have you checked the steering cable from the helm?
Yes...I can steer the boat...high effort...same effort with or without engine running....so chances are my pump is spinning with no output.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

steering cable could be frozen as well
Old 05-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I can turn the wheel all the way through...lock to lock...so based on that I don't think the cable is the issue. It is as though there is no power assist at all....the belt may as well be off the pump.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Registered

X2...However, I had the same problem when I bought my new to me boat last year. My problem turned out to be a combination of bad pump...and...a frozen valve in the actuator at the stern and I had to replace it too(very hard to turn the wheel). Keep in mind this is a power assit steering system and NOT a full hydrolic. Good luck. It'll make you feel better!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck27
X2...However, I had the same problem when I bought my new to me boat last year. My problem turned out to be a combination of bad pump...and...a frozen valve in the actuator at the stern and I had to replace it too(very hard to turn the wheel). Keep in mind this is a power assit steering system and NOT a full hydrolic. Good luck. It'll make you feel better!
Unfortunately...looks like I'm going to have to start chasing this by replacing parts one by one. In my experience...bad pumps make noise so I'm thinking a bad actuator valve...stay tuned.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

After thinking about this overnight, there could be a bypass valve stuck open, just sending the hydraulic fluid in an open loop. Not sure where the valve is on your system, but I would bet that this is the issue
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Best way to check the cable is out of the water engine off. Should steer with little to no resistance.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Best way to check the cable is out of the water engine off. Should steer with little to no resistance.
My system is about 2 1/2~3 full turns lock to lock. The wheel is easy to turn 1/2~3/4 turn in either direction from center...that's where the resistance begins. Both drives turn left and right fully as they should. I have had stern drive boats in the past and know how the steering effort feels with and with out power...so I really don't think I have a cable binding issue.

The idea of a by-pass valve being stuck open makes a lot of sense allowing an open loop with no resistance. The other thing I am wondering is if there is an air bleed on these systems that allows air to be bled off. All of the starboard side equipment was disconnected when the new transom assembly was installed for that engine and drive and as far as I know all that was done was to hook everything back up and run it.

Does anyone know if there is a bleed procedure for these systems when a pump or lines are replaced?

I am a novice on marine power steering systems so I appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.