Complete plumbing cooling/coolers

Notices

Complete plumbing cooling/coolers

Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Complete plumbing cooling/coolers

Guys,

I need to get a full diagram on the following, or just tell me which way all should be run. I am getting ready to rig my boat with the following:

closed loop cooling
oil cooler-does this need a thermostat?
p/s cooler

I need to know what order to run them in, what needs to be cooled first, second, third, then how to connect to both sides of the exhaust to dump(t-fitting?) I have a sea strainer, but is it needed? I boat mainly in fresh water, but do go in salt water some.

The closed loop cooling is puzzling me, you connect it to the circulating pump from the heat exchanger I believe, but then there is only one maybe half inch discharge on thermostat housing, does this go back to the heat exchanger and thats it?

Then dumping the raw water, I will only end up with one hose at the end of the raw water cooling chain, if I tee it off, will both headers get the correct amount of water flow to cool?

All advise is greatly appreciated.

Brad
Old 05-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Does know one have input as to what should be cooled first?

I was going to go sea strainer to raw pump, to heat exchanger, to oil cooler, to p/s cooler then dump through exhaust with a t in the middle of the engine to both manifolds.

Does this sound right?

Thanks
Brad
Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to know what order to run them in, what needs to be cooled first, second, third, then how to connect to both sides of the exhaust to dump(t-fitting?)

on my 502's it goes from the raw water pump to the oil cooler to the power steering cooler then thur the heat exchanger and out the risers.

The closed loop cooling is puzzling me, you connect it to the circulating pump from the heat exchanger I believe, but then there is only one maybe half inch discharge on thermostat housing, does this go back to the heat exchanger and thats it?
Yep think of it like a cars radiator just in and out

Then dumping the raw water, I will only end up with one hose at the end of the raw water cooling chain, if I tee it off, will both headers get the correct amount of water flow to cool?

a tee can be used after the exchanger most likely the flow wont be perfectly divided but as long as the riser/exhaust does not over heat i wouldnt worry.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you tee to headers,the discharge hoses should the same length from the t .then it SHOULD equlize the supply equally, your filling to tee,after that as long as the volume in the hoses is the same,im thinking it will flow the same,only my opinion,i always run equal length on any,,,,,,fuel,,,,,,cooling,,,air ,,,,just seems to me its the logical choice,hope you find it useful

Last edited by nordic572; 05-25-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys.

So cool oil, P/S, and then the heat exchanger is the way to plumb it. I guess as long as a thermostat is put on the oil cooler, it will allow the oil to heat up correctly and not stay too cool due to being first in line.

I will put the T in the middle of the engine to distribute the flow evenly to each header, that makes perfect sense.

I only want to do it once, so all of this advise is thankful!!

Brad
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 598 Formula
Thanks for the help guys.

So cool oil, P/S, and then the heat exchanger is the way to plumb it. I guess as long as a thermostat is put on the oil cooler, it will allow the oil to heat up correctly and not stay too cool due to being first in line.

I will put the T in the middle of the engine to distribute the flow evenly to each header, that makes perfect sense.

I only want to do it once, so all of this advise is thankful!!

Brad
Brad: Give me a call and I'll help if you still need help. I have a variety of diagrams and routings that you can have. They're posted on the site under kits. I've been off the OSO site for a while tied up on other things.

Russ Cromer