288 Sunsation. >

288 Sunsation.

Notices

288 Sunsation.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 288 Sunsation.

Well, I think I am over trying to make my Crownline fast. Its just not a wise move to dump anymore money into something thats not going to do what I want, I am just going to have to deal with for another year, and hope for a new boat. My question is what is everyones take on Sunsation boats? Mainly looking at 99-03 288's (closed bow). I like the size and layout, the fact that they all seem to be single power units, and the price seems to be good on clean used ones. How do they compare to say a Baja? I think they are a damn nice looking boat. Is it possible to have a 85-90MPH 288 without spending insane money? I want to find one with a 502 and swap my whipple and other goodies to that motor then build it from there, would 850HP get me to my speed goal?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by stopdropanroll
Well, I think I am over trying to make my Crownline fast. Its just not a wise move to dump anymore money into something thats not going to do what I want, I am just going to have to deal with for another year, and hope for a new boat. My question is what is everyones take on Sunsation boats? Mainly looking at 99-03 288's (closed bow). I like the size and layout, the fact that they all seem to be single power units, and the price seems to be good on clean used ones. How do they compare to say a Baja? I think they are a damn nice looking boat. Is it possible to have a 85-90MPH 288 without spending insane money? I want to find one with a 502 and swap my whipple and other goodies to that motor then build it from there, would 850HP get me to my speed goal?
Those year 288's are a straight vee with a small pad. They have an insert on the chine that gives the appearance of a step but it is not a step bottom boat. 2005 and up have a true single step and that is the hull you want to go with if you are looking to run speeds over 80. Go to www.sunsationboats.com and you can find others that have done what you are looking to do to get a feel for how much of an investment you would have to make and how those older hulls handle at higher speeds. My experience is you will run into some serious chine walking trying to run that fast and the boat will be a handful. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered

Sunsation boats are quality. I would own one right now if they had made the 36' XRT a few years back (enough time for the used market to show up with a few that were depreciated a little). I've met one of the owners at their shop in Algonac (Wayne) and was extremely impressed with their commitment to customer service- even to people who purchase used boats. As Knot said- the newer 288's seem like the way to go.. but any Sunsation is probably going to make you happy. Why not just get it over with and buy a 32 Dom with twin 496's? Turn key boat and will get awful close to 80 if not clear it. Don't even need to monkey around with the Whipples.... <evil grin>
Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by northerndoc
Sunsation boats are quality. I would own one right now if they had made the 36' XRT a few years back (enough time for the used market to show up with a few that were depreciated a little). I've met one of the owners at their shop in Algonac (Wayne) and was extremely impressed with their commitment to customer service- even to people who purchase used boats. As Knot said- the newer 288's seem like the way to go.. but any Sunsation is probably going to make you happy. Why not just get it over with and buy a 32 Dom with twin 496's? Turn key boat and will get awful close to 80 if not clear it. Don't even need to monkey around with the Whipples.... <evil grin>
Thats always a option! I get mixed opinions from people on twins, some say they are fairly good on fuel vs. a single running hard, and some say stay with a single. I have never owned a twin nor have I owned a offshore boat, I want to buy it right the first time instead of needing to upgrade a few years down the road. Not sure about those 496's, seems to be another mix opinion on those as well. I know what ever I buy I wont be able to leave stock for too long but if it did close 80 stock it might make me happy enough for the water we use locally.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it right and go 32...
Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

32 sonny with HO's and labbed props will run right at, or just over 80mph. Wanna know how I know that?

I think you are making a wise decesion. Best thing I ever did was quit trying to make the crownline fast. The velocity is superior to the 225ccr in everyway. I am right at 80mph GPS.

When I was looking my top 3 were:

Nordic (slowest, but coolest looking)

Sunny (couldn't find one in my price range)

Velocity (HP for HP faster then the above) I absolutley love my velocity. Usable cabin, and handles the rough great, and they are a fast hull.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Do it right and go 32...
+ 1.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cabin fever
32 sonny with HO's and labbed props will run right at, or just over 80mph. Wanna know how I know that?.
HAHA! Yes it will... My 01 32 with HO's saw a best of 84 all stock with labbed props. The boat was an absolute blast to drive!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

288's are nice but if speed is your goal, I'd look elsewhere. 850 HP?, I hope you have a few spare ODs. 85-90 MPH in a single without reliability issues, good luck!

My choices in that size range are....
Superboat, Kryptonite, Activator, Velocity, 29 Fountain
Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Pros-Sleek lines, Good quality, light layup, fairly fast per HP, you could tow it with a mid size SUV

Cons- Small and shallow, don't try to convince others you have a near 29' boat when it is in the water...looks like a 25. Boat flies through the air with anything more than 1 footers. It takes it well, but for some the rough water ride will have them scared $hittless (passengers)

A good freind of mine had one of the first and used to tie up to me when I owned a 29 outlaw. My boat dwarfed his. However he had a single 454 mag mpi with a whipple, ran mid 80's. My 29 with twin 454 mpi's was 15 mph slower and used much more fuel.

There is a 32 dom on our lake with twin 500 efi's that runs 90. I agree with the others, the Doms seem to be close in price and you will have a twin engine boat that will handle bigger water. But then you could just go with a 31 sonic and have a full head and a/c......it never ends

Whatever you do choose wisely, performance boats are not the easiest to move right now. Banks are tight, and 80 percent of the guys that would want to buy a 288 from you when you are done with it don't have their finances in order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.