Intercooler plumbing question >

Intercooler plumbing question

Notices

Intercooler plumbing question

Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler plumbing question

I have read tons of posts on here regarding intercooler plumbing, but I cant seem to find if anyone has tried this method..... First off... I have put together a fresh 500EFI w Vortech v4 Supercharger Kit. Per Vortech Instructions the intercooler is fed from the pressure side of the sea water pump after the fuel cooler but before the oil cooler. Water pumps through it fine with 10 an fittings and 5/8 hose and dump off the transom. Water pressures in upper 20's at 5000 rpm low 60s mph (small 25 pitch high slip prop for testing). At idle or on the hose.. I am getting tons of condensation in the intercooler, which gets pushed through the engine when rpms increase. (I dont like the idea of it ) So for testing purposes I put a valve on the intercooler exit line, at idle or on hose shut it off and condensation is eliminated. Turn valve full on for running. I purchased a Teague modified pressure relief valve and am wondering why I cant just put it down on the 1 1/4 inch fitting that feeds my intercooler, or on the exit line from the intercooler and set it to around 5 or 6 psi. That way as soon as I come off idle the pressure will open it up and continue to force it open more as pressure increases feeding the intercooler. What about FLOW? My total system pressure (measured from block fitting) may increase as I reprop and gain speed, if so then I can put another bypass in and dump overboard. At idle on hose or in lake is about 3 - 4 psi. I just want to easily eliminate the idle flow through the intercooler without adding a through hull or transom intercooler pickup. I am running a dual pickup XR drive, which seems to provide tons of water underway. Thanks for any input!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not sure about vortechs setup but I have a Wipple side mount that the intercooler was plumbed like that never had any problems, However I bought the new top mount setup & the instructions clearly state to install a thru hull pickup because you shouldnt need flow through the intercooler when idling. You might call some of the engine builders listed in here & see what they think. Would be an expensive lesson if happens IMO
Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input Randy.. glad to know its worked before. Anyone else with other opinions and advise or success or failure stories?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered

I've got a top mount Whipple and my I/C was plummed originally like yours with the raw water pump, I was not getting adequate block pressure, I took the I/C off and put a separate thru-transom P/U and am force feeding the I/C directly, my block pressure is right around 18-21 psi at speed and the I/C is in the mid to high 20's at WOT, works well and have had no troubles. Good luck

Steve