Brovo 1 - Reverse Problems

Notices

Brovo 1 - Reverse Problems

Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brovo 1 - Reverse Problems

I have the older style (late 80s) brovo ones.

At first the shifter would not go into reverse, it would shift fine into forward.

If I loosened the back-plate on the drive upper and then it would shift into reverse fine, but I could not leave it that way and needed to know what was wrong.

I took the drive off the boat and looked through everything. It looks fine. No metal or anything. But there does seem to be a lot of play in the shifter mechanism.

I put everything back together, and off the boat on the table it will go into forward fine, but reverse is difficult. But I can get it to go.

When I put the drive back on the boat, putting it into reverse a few times, makes the drive let go of the shift cable and I lose reverse altogether.

Could it be the shift assembly being warn and not fitting together right causing it to be hard to but into reverse ?

I am at a loss because parts for this thing are hard to find, and I am just shooting in the dark at this point. Seems they have made several changes to the shift assembly over the years and not all of them play well with the older drives.

Last edited by deploy; 05-27-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cable adjustment is sensitive, There is a tool to adjust it just right. Did you put a new shift cable in?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

and just to add are you doing this with the boat running,they dont like to be shifted with the engine off..
Old 05-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Replacing shift cable fixed mine - same symptoms
Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

Its most likely the shift linkage assembly and detent behind the rear cover plate on the drive.