Oil pressure problem need some advice

Notices

Oil pressure problem need some advice

Old 05-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Oil pressure problem need some advice

I have a set of Keith eickert 675's that run 75psi. Yesterday was my first runn with the boat and blew an oil hose off the remote oil filter housing. I lost 8 qts of oil but I think I killed the motor before any damage occurred, but it was spinning at 5200 rpms when it let go. My question is am I running to much pressure and if so why? What should it be running. I did see the pressure at 80 as well . The motors have 400 hrs and will be getting a rebuild in the fall. Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Refill it, run it for a couple of minutes to listen for noise and see what the oil pressure looks like. Then remove the oil filter and see what kind of metal is in it.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I would advise you to talk to Kieth himself as he built the engines and he'll now what pressures should be. That 80 psi if the engine oil was hot sounds like its on the high side of where you might want to be. Actually volume is as important as good pressure to get heat out and cool the parts, but again it depends on what Kieth built. Most good oil external lines should be able to handle those pressures without blowing out so it might be a poor connection or split or hose failure at a fitting that let go.

Hope everything is ok with the engine, the mess is bad enough!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanx I think both of these are great ideas and I will be doing both. The worse part is the motors where just out to do couplers and transom assemblies and cleaned and polished everything so yeah it sucks.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a lot of OP hot for a big block chevy....not needed in my opinion...these engines have a very good oiling system, when I was top sportsman racing with 565's we only ran 35-40...all that pressure eats up H/P and stresses oil lines/filter