CRT cordless rotary trim.

Notices

CRT cordless rotary trim.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRT cordless rotary trim.

Anyone running one of these ?

I have one on my sutphen and I noticed today it was getting a little tight, Gotta just be a bearing I would Imagine, Looks like Gary Teague still sells the unit.

I was wondering if anyone changed a bearing in one or had any trouble with thiers.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Registered

never had that issue but my last boat had it and when i would turn the wheel sometimes the trim would go up or down, pretty scary so i bypassed it and put a trim switch on the throttle, didnt really need to take a chance of taking out the ujoints on the drive by accident......or worse. I prefer the switch on the throttle anyway.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Registered

I have had mine all apart. I don't recall anything in it that would bind. I didn't see any bearings. It is a spindle with five bands of copper with a hub assembly attached to your steering wheel. The hub has brushes that make contact with the bands on the spindle. You have to clean the copper bands after awhile(6-10 years) from build up of the brushes...that could cause intermittent contact. I just don't think there is anythng in it to bind, other than one of the brushes. It's easy to take apart for inspection. I'll watch this post if you need help.