Notices

fuel gauge

Old 05-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel gauge

Have a 1993 top gun and one of the fuel gauges stay pegged out in the full position when i turn the key on and start the engine. When you turn the key off the gauge returns to the empty position. Dont really want to pull the sending unit out if i dont have to . Has anyone ever had a problem like this and found a quick fix.If i was a bad float on the sending unit i would think it would always stay on empty.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riski bidness
Have a 1993 top gun and one of the fuel gauges stay pegged out in the full position when i turn the key on and start the engine. When you turn the key off the gauge returns to the empty position. Dont really want to pull the sending unit out if i dont have to . Has anyone ever had a problem like this and found a quick fix.If i was a bad float on the sending unit i would think it would always stay on empty.
Use an Ohmmeter to verify the resistance of the sending unit output at the tank with with the leads to the guage disconnected. There are two standard ranges, 0-90 Ohms and I believe 20 - 240. The low end of the range is full tank. You can short the leads going to the guage to test that. Should produce a full reading when shorteed and an empty one with them connected to nothing.

You may have a shorted sending unit producing the full reading.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered

http://www.diy-boat.com/content/view/88/49/
Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by riski bidness
Check the ground wire to the back side of your fuel gauge. My fuel gauge was doing the same thing when I noticed my ground wire feel off.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It's definitely a bad ground, I'd say a wire probably and not the gauge
Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
A bad ground ground would result in an open circuit and that would produce a constant empty reading, not full.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
A bad ground ground would result in an open circuit and that would produce a constant empty reading, not full. I just went through this whole process after installing a new fuel tank. The troubleshooting process is pretty straightforward. I agree it's not the guage but most likely a bad sending unit or a hot (usually pink) wire shorted to ground.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NightHawk
A bad ground ground would result in an open circuit and that would produce a constant empty reading, not full.
Not in my case. I had no ground wire and when I turned the key on the gauge would go to full, once I attached the ground wire it went back down to 1/4 tank of fuel (which is the amount I had in the tank).
Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

My gauge is also showing full tanks, on either tank.

So I assume I must have a ground issue under the dash?

Will look this weekend.