Trailer Brake Issue >

Trailer Brake Issue

Notices

Trailer Brake Issue

Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Brake Issue

I have a Heritage, (Piece of Crap IMO), tri-axle trailer with disc brakes on all six wheels. Yesterday after coming off the lake and trailering about 4 miles back to my storage garage, I noticed a smell coming from the trailer. I went back to one side of the trailer and the wheel(s) were very hot, but not smoking. My question is, what is the easiest way to separate a master cylinder problem from an individual caliper problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
I have a Heritage, (Piece of Crap IMO), tri-axle trailer with disc brakes on all six wheels. Yesterday after coming off the lake and trailering about 4 miles back to my storage garage, I noticed a smell coming from the trailer. I went back to one side of the trailer and the wheel(s) were very hot, but not smoking. My question is, what is the easiest way to separate a master cylinder problem from an individual caliper problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 2001 Heritage triple-axle, and had to replace two calipers (at different times) because of sticking and heating up. Only one wheel would heat up though (the one with the sticking caliper) and the disc was the hottest point (not the hub). Our local dealership checked the remaining calipers and smoothed out the pistons and verified that they were still sealed correctly. UFP made the calipers for my model. Easy to find on the internet.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drive for a bit and feel for the hot hub..
Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If more than 1 wheel is hot, then look at the master cyl/ coupler. If just 1 wheel, then look at that wheel.