Notices

How to's needed

Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to's needed

I have a water leak into the bilge. Looks like it is coming from the fitting that the sea water inlet hose attaches to at the transom. Is this a pain to fix? suggestions?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it on like a bravo drive or a pickup that is on the transom?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

Yeah, Sorry. its a bravo 1 drive .
the leak , best I can tell, is coming from a metal fitting that the water intake hose is connected to. Not coming from the hose, but, somewhere before that.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

If you can get to it, it shouldn't be a pain to fix. On a Single Application you might be able to get down there. On a twin it could suck.

The piece is plastic so it could have developed a leak - it is a barb fitting that mates up to the inside of the transom. I think there are 4 bolts that hold it in place (IIRC).
Old 06-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

OK, after looking even closer. the intake hose connects to a metal fitting somewhat like a thermostat housing at the transom. the leak I'm seeing is coming down onto this area. Is it possible that the leak could be coming from the trim sender wires where they come thru the transom? This is so frustrating !!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Just out of curiosity, have you checked your Shift Boot and U-Joint Bellows? They're normal replacement items and only last 3-5 years under the best of conditions. When they rot out, they leak in that area. They're also a heck of a lot more common causes for a leak. Generally speaking, if either of them is the problem, the leak will get worse when the drive is turned to one side or the other and / or if it is trimmed up.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Just out of curiosity, have you checked your Shift Boot and U-Joint Bellows? They're normal replacement items and only last 3-5 years under the best of conditions. When they rot out, they leak in that area. They're also a heck of a lot more common causes for a leak. Generally speaking, if either of them is the problem, the leak will get worse when the drive is turned to one side or the other and / or if it is trimmed up.

Just changed all the bellows last year, along with the gimble bearing , u joints and trim sensors. Thats why this leak is frustrating me so. I have'nt tried turning the drive to see if it gets worse though, maybe that will help narrow it down.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

If the leak is above the water neck fitting it could be the wires or more a chance the tiller pin seal is at fault.
Mac
Old 06-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NOPUN
I have a water leak into the bilge. Looks like it is coming from the fitting that the sea water inlet hose attaches to at the transom. Is this a pain to fix? suggestions?
If it only leaks when it's running then I think you've nailed it. If it's from the trim wire pass through below the water line it will leak anytime you're in the water...as well as with any of the bellows.

If it's like mine you have a c-clamp on that hose...mine is a PITA to get to but requires a twist occasionally. I was able to get a cheap battery screwdriver with a hex bit and position my self over and between the engines and tighten mine. What helped me was having a light buit into the screwdriver so I could find the target.

Good luck with this.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the gasket to the neck piece that the hose connects to.
Part #21 in the diagram.
http://www.perfprotech.com/store/ass....aspx#assembly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.