Notices

05 Outlaw Running HOT

Old 06-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Outlaw Running HOT

New to this site I changed my impeller thursday the brass housing and end cap had grooves had the end cap machined back smooth installed every thing back put water hose to it and water did come out the exhaust took it to lake conroe tx sat and immediatley ran hot after planing any suggestions
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your old impeller came apart its very inportant to get every bit of the old pieces out they will be stuck in the oil cooler most likely. Take the hose off of it and look inside and you should be able to see through it.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Default running hot

impeller didnt come apart it ran hot last weekend so i took water pump apart to look housing wore on both ends had top plate milled and put new impeller in but old impeller was not tore or brittle
Old 06-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Registered

Default Running Hot

I have a 2002 Baja 25 Outlaw. I have changed the impeller each and every year faithfully. I went to change the impeller this year and noticed the grooves on the bottom of the brass housing were somewhat worse this year. I went to Hardin Marine and purchased their brand new stainless steel impeller housing which comes with an old school 454/502 impeller vice the 496mag ho impeller, and it comes with the o-ring and stainless back plate, and a gasket. You use your factory end only with the water inlets on it. The kit worked PERFECTLY and dumping tons of water!!!!

Question: If you milled the housing, you changed the overall tolerances I would think of the housing and thus I do not see how it can be efficient in that manner. My Baja runs 170-175 all the time, gets up to about 188 when coming down on plane after running and then cools back down-always had.

**They make a rebuild kit-to each their own-I prefer the Hardin Marine stainless solution! No modifications at all!!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 PM

Default running hot

where did u purchase yours from and how much was it
Old 06-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Hardin Marine. 299.00 complete kit/no tax/just shipping. You will now NEVER have to purchase a new impeller housing and the impellers are Merc and sold everywhere! Just google Hardin Marine

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-15774...d-502-mag.aspx

You may also have the notoriuous problem where the line comes in from the outdrive through the transom and over time the fitting in their gets corroded and clogged. Pain in the azz to take off the plastic fitting on the inside where the large hose comes in. There is a special part and tool needed to replace it (I did it when I took my motor out to take off the quick and quiet!).
Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Default running hot

thank you sir very much