steering problems >

steering problems

Notices

steering problems

Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering problems

I have a 90 model 226 and have a slight problem. If i lift very hard on the throttle the boat shoots hard right for a second. I think it is in the steering ram but am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. i appreciate any info i can get because it was a bit scary.lol
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have excessive play somewhere or in a few places. wiggle the drive back and forth and see when the steering wheel moves. First place to check is the gimble ring/steering pin. Check the 2 bolts on top of the gimble ring, should be 55ft lbs. Make sure it theyre loose you tighen them a little at a time, 1/4 turn left one 1/4 turn right one, and so on or you could beak the ring. once theyre tight you can look up in there and wiggle the drive ank and forth and see if the steering pin(big square thing) moves with it. If theres no play there the next spot Id check is the steering helm if you have cable steering (not hydraulic), wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and have someone watch the end of the cable to see how far you can turn it before the cable moves. I changed one once that had 4-5 inches of play in the wheel, new helm and cable only about an inch of play in the entire system. Only took a couple hours to change and about $250 in parts, huge difference in the handling of the boat and MUCH safer.
If you do have a lot of play somewhere it may be ready to let loose which could be dangerous at any speed so check it out right away.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dagah2x
First place to check is the gimble ring/steering pin.
+1, Had the same problem, replaced gimbal ring and the issue went away.