One side of 496 leaner than the other- >

One side of 496 leaner than the other-

Notices

One side of 496 leaner than the other-

Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One side of 496 leaner than the other-

I recently put o2 sensors in my Dana Exhaust to monitor A/F. I have a pretty good split between left and right. I set the Port side to be about 12.7 or so at the leanest point. When checking the otherside, same day, nothing changed it was up 13.5-14.0 all the way thru the rpm range.

I've been working with Raylar on the problem, his suggestion was a possible exhaust leak or bad or clogged injector.

I'm going to check both those things, just wanted some other possibilities or maybe some similar situations from other people. Once I dig in there I want to check everything.

496 HO, Raylar cam, Dana Exh.

Thanks in advance-
Old 06-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

Anyone?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

You may also want to check the spark plugs one slightly fouled will cause a change comparing side to side. Another possibility is the wiring of the O2's if you have a extra long circuit conneting to one side compared to the other this will add some additional resistence and could cause a minor shift in your readings. If you have more splices or terminal connections on one side compared to the other you may also see a slight difference in the readings. Maybe try swapping the O2's and see if the readings swap sides or if they still read the same. I think the exhaust leak would be obvious and easy to see if that was the case. Injectors not so easy.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Registered

Launchpad475, I'll keep you informed on what we find. We are soon to test both banks of a 496HO with widebands for CMD Marine testing data.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Registered

Cool thanks. I put an o2 sensor on each side instead swapping back and forth. Now I can watch them together at the same time. Still working on it. Split seems better though.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Registered

Turns out I just had a bad connection on one side, swapped o2 sensors around and swapped cables back and forth and was able to get consistent readings within the range I wanted.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

Glad I could help. I'll send you the bill latter