alpha one gimbal ring help! >

alpha one gimbal ring help!

Notices

alpha one gimbal ring help!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alpha one gimbal ring help!

i have a 1989 formula that i am servicing this year and im now in a bit of a jam trying to salvage my summer...the boat has an alpha one gen one drive...the motor is currently out i have a replacement ordered. I had some play..about an inch in my drive in the gimbal ring...i replaced the square steering shaft a few years ago and wanted to tighten up the gimbal ring pinch bolts...well one side tighten up nice and on the other side it snapped fml. about half the bolt is in there..so ive tried hammering it through...its seized ive tried heating but can't get it to budge....should i try drilling it...i ordered new hardware but can't get the old bolt out...i don't have any alpha special tools so im trying to avoid pulling the gimbal ring...i guess with the motor out i might have no choice. can someone tell me what to do to get this bolt out or can someone tell me what procedure to take to dissasemble this thing...i appreciate all your help..
-Harry
Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

try a left hand drill after soaking it in penetrating oil. If that doesn't work, drill and tap is about your only option
Old 06-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

how about drilling the bolt out and through bolting it like a bravo? is their room on the back side for the nut to pivot with out scraping on anything?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Registered

thats the problem...it is through bolted there is a nut on the back i can't get off either...im worried if i drill it that it will break loose...there isn't enough room for the bolt to go out the back of the hole...if you know what i mean. any recommendations on drill bits?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Registered

Just went through this myself. Had some play in the gimble ring, tried to tighten the bolt and it snapped. I heated and sprayed with penetrating oil over and over and eventually was able to beat the old bolt out.

Edit.. Actually Im thinking of the steering shaft bolt not the 2 gimble pinch bolts.

Last edited by Prostreet144; 06-11-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

I'm wondering even if you get the bolt out if just replacing the hardware will take that much slop out of the steering? Personally since the engines out already, I would have to consider replacing the Alpha with a Bravo. Pretty easy to find a good take out cheap to replace it with and a simple swap.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by formula18
thats the problem...it is through bolted there is a nut on the back i can't get off either...im worried if i drill it that it will break loose...there isn't enough room for the bolt to go out the back of the hole...if you know what i mean. any recommendations on drill bits?
try and put a pair of vise grips on the nut and hold it while your drilling the inside out..start with the same size cobalt drill bit then step down to a smaller size bit..the bigger bit will give you a tapered hole to start for the smaller bit so its center..
hold pressure on the vice grip to keep it from turning then when the bigger bit gets to the end all you will have left is the nut and it will drop out..
Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered

thanks for the replies guys...going to pick up some bits today...the play isn't that bad at all i had just said to myself rather than tighten the old bolts and snap them let me pick up some new bolts and bring them to factory specs...thinking i was doing the right thing...then snap wtf....gotta love boating

ps...the play was only an inch at the tip of the drive...so i think the new bolts will help...if i can only get this damn thing out
Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Formula I would take Fire's advice and replace it. At a minimum do not put the motor back in until you get this resolved or you will really be kicking yourself in the ass later..

Chris
Old 06-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Registered

i agree...giving the new bolts a try first rather than spend all that money...just bought a house so money is tight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.