Baby Steps, 1st Timer: 1990 Regal Velocity 230

Notices

Baby Steps, 1st Timer: 1990 Regal Velocity 230

Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Steps, 1st Timer: 1990 Regal Velocity 230

Ok, just got the boat Friday 6/10/11. Bad outdrive, sat for over a year, and 651 hours. $4750. Really needs allot of TLC, but I felt like it has quite a bit going for it. 454mag Bravo1, Latham full hydraulic steering, classic lines, Steve Stepp hull, molded in side exhaust, good build quality, and a nice trailer. I've got a new bravo on the way,' got the engine to start right up, have been cleaning the piss out of it, and already have a paint job lined up for this winter. But I'm already expecting the speed bug to hit me full force, and wondering what if anything should I do to the current motor, and in what order. So far I've been thinking cam, intake manifold, carb, exhaust manifolds, rockers. Lately I've thought maybe a small blower rather than the intake? I've got an 850cfm holley marine dbl pumper; would this be too much carb if I do the intake and cam? Should I do nothing for now, and just wait till I can afford a full refresh of the bottom end? I just sold my little sugarsand jet because I needed more space and speed, but between me an you allot of it had to do with my friends just blowing past me. They both probably top out around 65, and both are small blocks. Do I wait, or start bolting on parts? I don't have a whole lot of money so a full refresh will probably have to wait at least a year, and I was really thinking of just doing new piston, rings, and bearings as I've heard the entire bottom end is forged on the mag motors. So let's say a goal of 500 HP on regular pump gas. I'll be doing all the work myself. Also what would be more efficient, a cam and intake, or blower?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

First of all, it sounds like you got a great deal on a very nice boat. Steve makes a hell of a boat and it doesn't have many hours on it, so you should be able to enjoy the hell out of it for many years.

As for what to do with it, I can only offer my opinion. Any boat that sits for a long time develops at least a few "moths" that need to be flushed out. All of these little problems need to be identified and solved before you can really figure out where to spend your money on modifications. At least you have the 454 Maugnum so you have a decent base to build off of. And as for keeping up with your friends, you won't be far off with a stock motor in that boat.

So I'd suggest using this year to flush the moths out and talk to lots of folks about sensible modifications. You'll have plenty of opinions to sort through. Take it easy and learn from others mistakes before dumping a ton of money into mods that don't gain you anything and actually decrease the resale value of your boat. Just my 2 cents!

Tom
Old 06-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just run it and enjoy it this year! Honestly, I would bet you'll probably be in the low 60's anyways. My boat is 23', 454/330hp Bravo 1 and I run a consistent 58-60mph with a Mirage 23p, but I do get better cruise out of a Bravo 22p (about 4-5mph) and lose a couple on top (56-58mph). My boat weighs 3800lbs dry. With the Mag motor I really think you'll be about 62-63 mph to start and be very close to your buddies. Save your money this year and just run it and enjoy it, and then build it over the winter. Just my $.02....
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
First of all, it sounds like you got a great deal on a very nice boat. Steve makes a hell of a boat and it doesn't have many hours on it, so you should be able to enjoy the hell out of it for many years.

As for what to do with it, I can only offer my opinion. Any boat that sits for a long time develops at least a few "moths" that need to be flushed out. All of these little problems need to be identified and solved before you can really figure out where to spend your money on modifications. At least you have the 454 Maugnum so you have a decent base to build off of. And as for keeping up with your friends, you won't be far off with a stock motor in that boat.

So I'd suggest using this year to flush the moths out and talk to lots of folks about sensible modifications. You'll have plenty of opinions to sort through. Take it easy and learn from others mistakes before dumping a ton of money into mods that don't gain you anything and actually decrease the resale value of your boat. Just my 2 cents!

Tom
DING DING!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

What about a drive shower, and some synthetic oil for the outdrive since the one I bought is used.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Registered

Go for both! I personally am a fan of the Amsoil Marine gear lube, and Mobile 1 Synthetic 15/50, but I'm sure there are other great products out there as well, just personal choice. When are you getting the new drive put on?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I'm putting it on as soon as it comes in. Sometime between this Thursday and next Wednesday.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

So what drive shower should I do? I'm not sure what will work with my Latham steering. I thought about one of the halos, but there is already a hole drilled in the cavitation plate.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Registered

Smartest move you have made so far....is coming on here and asking these guys.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Waveform
So what drive shower should I do? I'm not sure what will work with my Latham steering. I thought about one of the halos, but there is already a hole drilled in the cavitation plate.
In my humble opinion, with stock power on a light hull like yours, a drive shower isn't an absolute requirement. Up the ante on power though and it's required. Think of it as cheap insurance for now. Make sure to go for a good full synthetic gear lube such as Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, etc. though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.