Starting problems... >

Starting problems...

Notices

Starting problems...

Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems...

Been reading many other post and been getting some ideas, but just thought i would check and see if you guys new anything else. 88 baja 240, 454 mag, stock... boat isn't starting, not clicking, not making any noise. Everything has power, and the battery is good. I have checked the fuses in the ignition and wires from the battery to the starter. I am able to start the motore by jumping the top two post on the slave solenoid. I replaced that and still have the same problem. Does my boat have a neutral switch, I looked underneath my throttle and shifter controls and didnt find any electrical wires coming from there, would it be located else where, like directly on the transmission? any other thoughts are appreciated
Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by astar77350
Been reading many other post and been getting some ideas, but just thought i would check and see if you guys new anything else. 88 baja 240, 454 mag, stock... boat isn't starting, not clicking, not making any noise. Everything has power, and the battery is good. I have checked the fuses in the ignition and wires from the battery to the starter. I am able to start the motore by jumping the top two post on the slave solenoid. I replaced that and still have the same problem. Does my boat have a neutral switch, I looked underneath my throttle and shifter controls and didnt find any electrical wires coming from there, would it be located else where, like directly on the transmission? any other thoughts are appreciated
You replaced slave solenoid already, did you hook it up right. Check your batteries for amps and volts, I cant stress it enough. Check every single connection again. Trust me it seems every time somebody misses one.

After doing all of that replace your ignition swtich, i bet that is it.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered

u should have a neutral switch you should be able to hear it click or feel it.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Registered

I double checked all connections when I hooked up the new solenoid. Starter switch I checked when the old solenoid was in, haven't checked it after I installed the new one, probably a good idea. Where is the neutral switch located????
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered

I double checked all connections when I hooked up the new solenoid. Starter switch I checked when the old solenoid was in, haven't checked it after I installed the new one, probably a good idea. Where is the neutral switch located????
Its part of the throttle sytem, I couldnt say where. But Check your starter it could be dead as well, but usually even if its dead it will still click. From what it seems, I would try these two things before you do anything crazy.

Put a new ignition switch in, they are like 10 bucks, the part where your key goes in. If that doesnt solve it, take your battery out and your starter and have them both check at auto zone.

You did hit the red reset button on the fuse too as well right?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Registered

I did hit the reset on the fuse. I will replace the ignition. The starter is going to be a pain to get out. If I'm able to jump it by crossing the post on the slave solenoid, wouldn't that mean the starter is still good?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

There are two solonoids one on the starter and then one on the block
Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Registered

But which solenoid is activated first. I am assuming the one on the block has to go first. Is there a way to test the starter without taking it off?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Registered

But which solenoid is activated first. I am assuming the one on the block has to go first. Is there a way to test the starter without taking it off?
If you look in the merc repair manual it says it but i cant find it. But check this http://www.ehow.com/how_5336536_test...-solenoid.html

sounds like your starter is fine. But yes it would engage the solenoid on top first. Dont know how to check. I bet its your ignition key or the neutral safety. Try the key part first. After that you might need a new throttle.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered

Despite it not being the safest thing, you could bypass the neutral safety switch and go hot from the key to the solenoid. That will tell you if it is the neutral switch or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.