Notices

Where To Install K-planes

Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where To Install K-planes

I need a Pro to tell me where i need to install these K-Planes on my 1987 Chris Craft 222 Stinger... No guessing guys... here are the pictures... Do you see the swim steps that are in the way. And do you see my template.. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!111
Attached Thumbnails Where To Install K-planes-062811120417.jpg   Where To Install K-planes-062811120426.jpg   Where To Install K-planes-062811120351.jpg  

Where To Install K-planes-062811120405.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I'm not pro but heres where i did mine. Basicly same place you have your template sitting....thing is your template looks a tad small for being a K-Plane...unless you just made the template the bare minimum for drilling the holes???? Anyway i moved mine to where it was flat on the transom as far to the outsides as i could get it... the pic is bad but i'm sure you get the jist of it
Attached Thumbnails Where To Install K-planes-tab1.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

i also mounted it about 3/4" above the bottom of the boat...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

Good OOO Wally... Hey you can see in my picture where the old bennitt trim tabs where. That template is the eddie marine k-plane 12x24 template... I need to find out if they need to be all the way out or if going back where my bennitt tab location was will be good enof or moving them out as far as possible..... I need a hull speed guy thats sets these things up that can tell me the PRo's And Cons.... Every little bit counts for top speed and control... Wally how does your boat run where they are now top speed is it very stable in all water conditions... and what speed are you running...
Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

Default Trim tabs location

Ok Wally lets get the word out here on OSO And see if we cant get any high boat speed guys help new pictures,,,
Attached Thumbnails Where To Install K-planes-062811161007.jpg   Where To Install K-planes-062811161107.jpg   Where To Install K-planes-062811161049.jpg  

Where To Install K-planes-062811120405.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, thats too high on the transom. At speed they might not even reach the waterline. There's 2 schools of thought on wether to mount them at the hull angle or flat. Again this is only my opinion but I would mount them flat with the water line 1/2"-3/4" above the skeg at the upper end of the old tab location. I tried both on my Scarab way back and the flat mount was more stable while running straight. With the angled mounting if you lowered one tab more than the other it wanted to steer you in the oposite direction. At speed it was pretty hairy although I agree that at speed you should be at zero tab or less. Never the less it happened. Just my 2cts. By the way, 30' 1978 Scarab did 84mph before I parted it out and bought the Cat which does 115-120 mph and still has a litle more to go.

Last edited by fireboatpilot; 06-28-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Registered

ok Here is a link to my youtube video..........help and respond please..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhVsoER_zsY
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Flat with the water (straight horizontal on the transom) is best for speed. I think you're going to find that you'll be pretty much limited to where you can mount them based on the swim platform underside. I'd suggest right above the lifting strakes and at least 1/2" above the planing bottom at the lowest point to avoid dragging them in the full up position. Remember, K-Planes are not adjustable for the full up position like other tabs with independently mounted cylinders.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Actually the main reason i mounted mine where they are is due to the fact the stringer is right behind the mounting plate of the K-Plane.....moving one way or the other would put one or two of the mounting bolts right into the stringer which i didnt want to deal with.

I have yet to splash mine as its a "long term project"
Work in progress with no set date for completion

Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Flat with the water (straight horizontal on the transom) is best for speed. I think you're going to find that you'll be pretty much limited to where you can mount them based on the swim platform underside. I'd suggest right above the lifting strakes and at least 1/2" above the planing bottom at the lowest point to avoid dragging them in the full up position. Remember, K-Planes are not adjustable for the full up position like other tabs with independently mounted cylinders.
+1 and is exactly what I was saying. Mount them in the old location only straighten them out to be parralel to the water surface. Straight off of that little flat strake sorry not skeg and 1/2" to 3/4" above it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.