Which oil thermostat? >

Which oil thermostat?

Notices

Which oil thermostat?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which oil thermostat?

I haven't seen my oil temp above 140 ever. Last year I asked someone about this and they said it was fine because it should match my water temp so condensation doesn't build up. I have been searching here all the way back to '07 and everyone says otherwise and that it should be 212. I only cruise around 3500 rpm and occasional 4000 rpm but that puts me in the 70's mph and where I boat at is dangerous so I rarely even get to 5000 rpm. I only run for about 20 min so never see temps raise much. I am looking at adding an oil t-stat but not sure which one to go with. This is on a blower motor with no thermostat for water.

Eddie Marine and Canton Racing have the same one
Eddie Marine

CP Performance and Hardin Marine have the same one
Hardin Marine

Then there is the mocal styles
Mocal_Sandwich_Plate
Mocal_Remote_Oil_Thermostat

I am leaning towards the mocal remote because it is cheaper and I have seen others mention them here. Looking for some thoughts and pictures of installs.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the Canton on my 598ci NA. I have no water thermostat and pretty much never see water temps on the gauge. I am pretty pleased with the Canton, it keeps the oil at a steady 215º anywhere from 3000rpm to 5500rpm, any higher than 5500rpm and my oil temps climb a little bit, but that is to be expected. You can actually see it cycling on the gauge while cruising. the needle will move down a little bit, then creep back up, over and over. So I know its working.

Before I installed it, I couldnt cruise at less than 4500rpm or my oil temps would hang at less than 160º.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Registered

Thanks philm, I am going to get that same one.

What about cooler before filter or vice versa?

Right now I have filter first but saw on Teague site a diagram going the other way saying that if an oil cooler comes apart you want the filter to catch it.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Registered

Default oil thermostat

I have one brand new sandwich type oil thermostat that is made out of cnc'd billet aluminum and one used very little one that i no longer need. I will take $150 for both of them. email for pics if interested to [email protected]
Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Philm
I run the Canton on my 598ci NA. I have no water thermostat and pretty much never see water temps on the gauge. I am pretty pleased with the Canton, it keeps the oil at a steady 215º anywhere from 3000rpm to 5500rpm, any higher than 5500rpm and my oil temps climb a little bit, but that is to be expected. You can actually see it cycling on the gauge while cruising. the needle will move down a little bit, then creep back up, over and over. So I know its working.

Before I installed it, I couldnt cruise at less than 4500rpm or my oil temps would hang at less than 160º.
x2. I installed it on my 509. My oil Temps stay right between 215-230 depending on how high the rpms are.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtyJohnson
Thanks philm, I am going to get that same one.

What about cooler before filter or vice versa?

Right now I have filter first but saw on Teague site a diagram going the other way saying that if an oil cooler comes apart you want the filter to catch it.
The common belief is that hot oil is easier to filter, so having the cooler and thermo installed after the filter is usually the most practiced method. Plus, if you start blowing up, the filter will catch most or all of the metal and will save your cooler.

I dont know if I have ever heard of a cooler coming apart, but I am sure it could happen.