Notices

Freeze plugged popped!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Freeze plugged popped!

Brought the boat home from a 2 1/2 year hibernation
Cleaning, detailing, new batteries, fresh oil, fresh raw water impellers, started up and starboard motor had blackish water
Flushed, and flushed more be removing all the blue plugs and several hoses until i got clean fresh water of the hose through the motor. Both pipes send good supply of water out the transom

Moved over to port motor, no water within a 20 seconds, shut them down and the Bilge kicked on Plenty of water there!
Shorten the story I found one freeze plug in the bottom of the bilge!

Now onto my questions!
First, would it be advisable or OK to reinstall the popped plug?
Looks fine, no corrosion or dings to speak of.
Sealant help? or waste of $$
eI have access to is somewhat, it is on the outside port, next to the hull. Being a Cat they are spread apart. Its tight to get too, but coult be worse if was the inside of a Twin V

Secondly, what else could should be watched out for once this or a new plug is installed? My worse fears of course is that if this plugged popped doing one of the last three winters what else could have frozen over Really have no clue, but just fear since it was last winterized in 2008 the pink could have broken down
Old 07-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knock the plug back in and go. Has the same happen last winter with blocks completely dry. Dont know why or how it happened...
Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Knock the plug back in and go. Has the same happen last winter with blocks completely dry. Dont know why or how it happened...

no problems with using the same one?
I worry that it came out 'crooked' and distorted the sides beyond what my Eye can see.

in over 10 years that I have done this myself the only time I have had an issue is becasue I went two years without checking on it ;(
NEVER again!

Thanks,
Old 07-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just do it..if you wan't you might use also some epoxy glue to be sure after you've plugged it back in. Do not put glue on the surfaces as it makes it more slippery.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
Brought the boat home from a 2 1/2 year hibernation
Cleaning, detailing, new batteries, fresh oil, fresh raw water impellers, started up and starboard motor had blackish water
Flushed, and flushed more be removing all the blue plugs and several hoses until i got clean fresh water of the hose through the motor. Both pipes send good supply of water out the transom

Moved over to port motor, no water within a 20 seconds, shut them down and the Bilge kicked on Plenty of water there!
Shorten the story I found one freeze plug in the bottom of the bilge!

Now onto my questions!
First, would it be advisable or OK to reinstall the popped plug?
Looks fine, no corrosion or dings to speak of.
Sealant help? or waste of $$
eI have access to is somewhat, it is on the outside port, next to the hull. Being a Cat they are spread apart. Its tight to get too, but coult be worse if was the inside of a Twin V

Secondly, what else could should be watched out for once this or a new plug is installed? My worse fears of course is that if this plugged popped doing one of the last three winters what else could have frozen over Really have no clue, but just fear since it was last winterized in 2008 the pink could have broken down
freeze plugs stay in essentially because the nice sharp edge on the cup acts as a barb. if you were on a desert island , marooned, you might put the old one back in but for less than a dollar probably 10 minutes round trip from where you live, why would you ever do such a thing ? clean the bore with a wire brush on a drill, down to bare metal, wash it with thinner, shoot a coat of engine enamel on it from a spray can so it doesn't corrrode, buy a new freeze plug and put it in... and make sure it goes in far enough to catch the lip of the cup against the bore...

i mean really... for an hours worth of work and a dollar, do you want to take the kind of risk that would result in disaster if it falls out at speed ?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Originally Posted by stevesxm
freeze plugs stay in essentially because the nice sharp edge on the cup acts as a barb. if you were on a desert island , marooned, you might put the old one back in but for less than a dollar probably 10 minutes round trip from where you live, why would you ever do such a thing ? clean the bore with a wire brush on a drill, down to bare metal, wash it with thinner, shoot a coat of engine enamel on it from a spray can so it doesn't corrrode, buy a new freeze plug and put it in... and make sure it goes in far enough to catch the lip of the cup against the bore...

i mean really... for an hours worth of work and a dollar, do you want to take the kind of risk that would result in disaster if it falls out at speed ?
Thanks!, now that was the kind of repsonse that sinks in!
I will just have to call it a none boating day!
Auto Parts store does not have brass in stock, and the marine store, those that are open on a sunday, do not open until 11
Old 07-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

new plug, installed, ALL was great! no other issues found!

Spent a great day on the lake with the family!
Now the wife and i are fried and cannot go out today
Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good. Just keep an eye on the oil for a while as the coolers can crack and stuff.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Registered

buy a lottery ticket...
Old 07-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
new plug, installed, ALL was great! no other issues found!

Spent a great day on the lake with the family!
Now the wife and i are fried and cannot go out today
You did get a brass plug, right ? As the one you replaced?
Otherwise they'll most likely rust thru someday...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.