need xome help - large leak from power steering ram >

need xome help - large leak from power steering ram

Notices

need xome help - large leak from power steering ram

Old 07-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need xome help - large leak from power steering ram

Well, it's been one damned thing after another with the boat this year. Had it out yesterday and it was running good, but then the wife smelled something from under the hatch. Raised the hatch, and I could see where PS fluid had shot all around the transom assembly. At first i thought it was from the trim tab pump, but when I started the engine it was absolutely gushing from the PS ram. It appears to be coming out from around the large 1 1/8" collar nut that goes around the cable shaft. I didn't have a wrench large enough to try tightening it, but it didn't feel loose. I doubt if that would help anyway judging by the size of the leak. I had to cut the belt to keep from burning up the pump.

I did a little searching online, and it appears that I have the Saginaw unit (88 model boat). Merc has apparently superseded these with a newer unit that takes metric lines, and they are quite proud of the kit for the hoses and new ram to the tune of about $480.00. Sum*****!

Is it at all possible to rebuild these things? I am suspecting that it blew a seal or O-ring where the cable passes through. Has anyone had any luck at all fixing these things? I would be interested in a good used unit if anyone has a takeoff from going to a full hydraulic system.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Its called a Power Steering Actuator.

Bam has them for $250 brand new. Or put a post in Wanted, there has to be someone with on laying around. The only thing you have to worry about is how long was it sitting around, did the seals get dry. I would buy new and be done with it.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...POWER+STEERING
Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Registered

I found one of the original Saginaw pumps like I have new in the OEM Merc box for $150. Is there any advantage to running the newer design over the old one? I would like to avoid the extra expense and hassle of having new PS hoses made up with the metric ends if there is no advantage to going with the newer design.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can find the newer ones on Ebay all the time, I updated mine on my 89 251, cleaner setup, less there, change the lines to O-ring style, may have to change the fitting in the back of the pump as well...they sent me it when I bought the changeover deal but mine was already a O-ring style...I would update it now..usually cheaper than the new older ones floating around...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the full set from the helm to the actuator. Its off of a 1996 Ebbtide 225 Campione. 7.4 liter 454/ Bravo 1. I removed it to install a full hydraulic kit that I designed and built. The setup I removed works perfectly fine. Will sell cheap.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered

Sorry, I should have updated this earlier. I actually found a replacement part locally. I installed it last Saturday (that bottom bolt is a beotch!), and got everything buttoned up, only to see that I had a large gash in one of my PS lines on the low pressure side. Was this actually my problem, and did I replace the actuator for nothing? Don't know for sure - I'm not about to put the old one back on to find out. I repaired the LP line, and it seemed to work fine over the weekend. FWIW, my local marine mechanic said that based on the description I gave about the amount of fluid that was shooting out around the transom area, he thinks my ram was bad too. Of course, he might have just been saying that to keep me from feeling like such a doofus.