Problems with my #3 Speedmaster >

Problems with my #3 Speedmaster

Notices

Problems with my #3 Speedmaster

Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problems with my #3 Speedmaster

I have a 1973 Cheetah 24' with a 454 Twin Banks Turbo with a #3 Speedmaster drive with a bronze cleaver prop. I bought this over the winter and put it in the water for the first time yesterday. The boat ran great & sounded good, until after about a half an hour I started to accelerate & it started to sound like I was spinning a prop. But, I don't think this prop has a hub, I'm now thinking it's something in the outdrive. I could go slow, but when I started to accelerate it sound like it was spinning out, reving up but not really moving. Does this drive have a clutch or something like that? Any idea's would be helpful. Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

From what you are saying, it sounds like the transmission is slipping. Just a thought. It probably idles ok, but when you begin to add the load, it is slipping. Check the trannie fluid and smell it. Just the initial thought, I am sure others will chime in
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say trans as well.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

YUP. Sounds like you may have smoked the transmission. If it was low on fluid, and you ran it, the clutches will burn up in no time. Or, if the shifter cable going to the transmission, isn't adjusted properly so that it is fully engaged in FWD, that can ruin it too.

Good thing is, they aren't terribly expensive to rebuild. However, you will more than likely need to pull the engine to get it out depending on your setup.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to cigrocket,cig3 & mild thunder...You are all right ! I had a mechanic look at it & he said a seal broke & the tranny got smoked..It was out of fluid completely.. And yes, the engine will have to come out...Thanks again for the reply's