need new alpha one outdrive, gear ratio help

Notices
Formula

need new alpha one outdrive, gear ratio help

Old 07-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need new alpha one outdrive, gear ratio help

my 87 242SS 454 mag 330hp alpha one drive has taken a dump. Actually i'm not very happy about the place that worked on it this spring as they noticed my water pump wasn't working so they sold me on that then noticed the oil was low so they got me on a upper seal and yoke then when i pick it up they mention the prop shaft is bent, i can't believe they had me put that much $$ into a 24 year old outdrive. Also after everything was back together they mention the water hose from the outdrive unit was old and cracked. Isn't that something you inspect while the outdrive is off? Anyway looks like i'm gonna buy an entire new unit from SEI but i'm wondering what will change with different gearing as original was 1.32:1 and the lowest available now is 1.47:1. Will it just mean i'll have to run a higher pitch prop? I have a 3 blade 21p on there now but wanted to drop to a 19p to help the boat get on plane faster. Any help appreciated.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not the change your world but I would strongly consider staying with Merc running Alpha behind a 454. SEI will blow you in the dirt with a warranty claim if they get any Idea you are running their drive behind a big block....read their warranty closely.

Shop around and find what you want in a used or re-man Alpha.

Check these guys out http://www.seilermarine.com/outboard...pha_drives.htm

At $2195 for a NEW Alpha I think you will be miles ahead. You can find 1:32 gears and swap them out and get everything you have now...except new.

Good luck with this and let us know what you do.