454 mag efi fuel issue? >

454 mag efi fuel issue?

Notices

454 mag efi fuel issue?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 mag efi fuel issue?

Hi Guys, I have a 95 baja with the 454 mag efi motor. I have an annoying intermittent problem that I think may be fuel related. I'm hoping someone on here has had this exact issue and I might be able to save my weekend.

Heres the story: At the end of last season, I shredded my seapump belt and it wedged itself into all kinds of places when it went. After I replaced the belt, the boat ran great for a week or so then it started having what feels like a fuel starvation issue. I took the fuel pump off and sure enough the reservoir was filled with gas. Replace it and boat ran great.

Fast forward to mid July...Boat idles and runs fine until I try to plane it out, then it sputters and acts like it wants to shut down, but recovers when I get back to idle. my first guess would be fuel pump, but its intermittent. I havent gotten to take a detailed look at it yet as it just reared its ugly head this weekend again after a trouble free summer so far. After it happened again I let the boat idle for a little while, then it planed out fine.

My question is could I have done something to the pump/pulley assembly when I shredded that belt? Cam? Pulley? I was getting down toward empty in my gas tank could picking up sludge do this? It cant be vapor lock right since i have cool fuel? I guess I'll check to see if the mech pump is pumping and go from there.

Any other thoughts? It just seems to weird to be another fuel pump in 6 months of running.

MY boat is equipped with that VST tank. I unscrewed the top plug after it bogged down and I didnt see alot of gas in there, so that may be an indicator right there. I just find it so hard to believe it.

Thanks in advance guys! -Jeff.

edit: also noticed a white powdery residue whick looks like it was sprayed off that belt/pulley for the water/fuel pump. It isnt salt the boat is fresh water. Is the pump leaking into the cam housing then out the front seal, then being sprayed off the pulley? hmmmm if thats the case I might need a rebuild lol. Does evaporated gas leave a white residue? I dont think so right?

Last edited by Jeff24SST; 07-18-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jeff24SST
Hi Guys, I have a 95 baja with the 454 mag efi motor. I have an annoying intermittent problem that I think may be fuel related. I'm hoping someone on here has had this exact issue and I might be able to save my weekend.

Heres the story: At the end of last season, I shredded my seapump belt and it wedged itself into all kinds of places when it went. After I replaced the belt, the boat ran great for a week or so then it started having what feels like a fuel starvation issue. I took the fuel pump off and sure enough the reservoir was filled with gas. Replace it and boat ran great.

Fast forward to mid July...Boat idles and runs fine until I try to plane it out, then it sputters and acts like it wants to shut down, but recovers when I get back to idle. my first guess would be fuel pump, but its intermittent. I havent gotten to take a detailed look at it yet as it just reared its ugly head this weekend again after a trouble free summer so far. After it happened again I let the boat idle for a little while, then it planed out fine.

My question is could I have done something to the pump/pulley assembly when I shredded that belt? Cam? Pulley? I was getting down toward empty in my gas tank could picking up sludge do this? It cant be vapor lock right since i have cool fuel? I guess I'll check to see if the mech pump is pumping and go from there.

Any other thoughts? It just seems to weird to be another fuel pump in 6 months of running.

MY boat is equipped with that VST tank. I unscrewed the top plug after it bogged down and I didnt see alot of gas in there, so that may be an indicator right there. I just find it so hard to believe it.

Thanks in advance guys! -Jeff.

edit: also noticed a white powdery residue whick looks like it was sprayed off that belt/pulley for the water/fuel pump. It isnt salt the boat is fresh water. Is the pump leaking into the cam housing then out the front seal, then being sprayed off the pulley? hmmmm if thats the case I might need a rebuild lol. Does evaporated gas leave a white residue? I dont think so right?
you simply need to look at the fuel presure gage for this answer... it certainly sounds like the fuel pressure falls to near zero and you simply look at the gage when you try to drive off to know that and if you don't have a gage, put one in at the rail. if the pressure DOES go away it can be any one of a few things from delivery to the mech pump all the way to the electric pump or the regulator or the rail full of junk and the screens plugged etc... but first know what the press does... and actually if its the screens , the pressure WON'T drop but you need that answer first any way.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

Check your compressions. I had weird reading on mine with the same issues and found a cam lobe wiped out. The lifter looked like someone took a ballpien hammer to it. It was because the oils now days have no zinc additive in them. There are some that still do like diesel oil and I believe Royal purple.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you dump or replace your water separator? Thats what it sounds like to me. I know my 575 has 2 filters...not sure about the mags.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

any news on this? My port engine is acting similar to yours....
Old 07-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered

My friends boat was doing same thing. We pulled the electric pump for the fuel injection replaced it and ran perfect. hope this helps