Replacing obsolete fuel injectors

Notices

Replacing obsolete fuel injectors

Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing obsolete fuel injectors

Howdy,

For reasons I won't go into, I'm pretty sure all 8 of my fuel injectors are shot (the engine got water in it while in storage). Looking over past threads here, it looks like I can use regular automotive injectors. Does anyone know if that's correct? The engines are 1991 Mercruiser High Performance 320s (5.7 L EFI). The injectors listed for that motor are discontinued by Mercruiser (and extremely expensive anyway). The injectors are Bosche (Merc part number 13746). I called Mercruiser and as usual with discontinued parts, they can't tell me anything about it.

I wonder if regular 1991 Chevy/Bosch fuel injectors would work. Anyone care to take a guess? I'm looking at these: http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/product-search/?v=16464

Thanks for any advice!
S
Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Are you sure they are Bosch? Pull an injector as it may be a Keihin (basically a Honda injector) that probably flows around 19-24 lbs/hr.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did Mercruiser call your motors? I have a 320 EFI, but i thought it was discontinued in 1989... Just curious if that was what you were running. I have heard that the 320 EFI used a Porsche injector or some crap like that.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Registered

I'd go with Bosch Grey tops the same ones used on the Highway Patrol Camaros and Buick Grand Nationals.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/fuel-...ors/?itemid=23
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are Porsche 928 injectors.
Use the Bosch pn on the injector to order more.

These are a high quality injector.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
What did Mercruiser call your motors? I have a 320 EFI, but i thought it was discontinued in 1989... Just curious if that was what you were running. I have heard that the 320 EFI used a Porsche injector or some crap like that.
Yes, these are the 320 EFI. They have "Mercruiser High Performance Division" stamped on them. The boat is a 1991, and the title says 1991, but it would not surprise me if the motors were 1990. I don't think they are 1989 motors. It's a twin, so I have two of them.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hallj

Jeff
Awesome, thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I actually don't know why I thought they were Bosche injectors, I think I just assumed they were based on something I saw on some website, but I really don't remember.

Since two people on this thread have mentioned Porche injectors that is very helpful and hopefully I can get somewhere with that. I'll pull one and see if I can see a number. I hope they're not expensive to replace (but I bet they are).
Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hallj

Jeff
I.e. the regular Bosch Injector design II pintle type at @ 24lbs/hr flow.
Used by many makes.. Ford Motorsport for the 5.0 Mustang GT usually are the cheapest.
http://www.justfuelinjectors.com/ser...flowchart/Page

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 07-19-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Registered

Mika,

you are right. as long as they flow the same and have the same coil impedance, you can interchange.

you may be able find them cheaper from a different application, TPI F body or Corvette.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by svonmiller
Awesome, thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I actually don't know why I thought they were Bosche injectors, I think I just assumed they were based on something I saw on some website, but I really don't remember.

Since two people on this thread have mentioned Porche injectors that is very helpful and hopefully I can get somewhere with that. I'll pull one and see if I can see a number. I hope they're not expensive to replace (but I bet they are).
Your fuel pumps are from a Porsche 930, able to support over 500bhp.

The mercury diagnostic box for your engine is pn 91-11001A2 it was also used on the EFI outboards of the same vintage.

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.