power steering line pics.. >

power steering line pics..

Notices

power steering line pics..

Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering line pics..

I blew my high pressure line, and when I went to buy a new line, I cant find the line I have anywhere. I have on one end, a o-ring that goes into the pump itself. On the other end, its just a flaired fitting, that goes into the ram. The only hose I can find has o-rings on both ends. After closer inspection, it looks like the low pressure return line, is the same as the one end of the new hose, So I was wondering is there a way that I could have had the line mixed up the whole time, or is it not possible, cause it would cause the outdrive not to turn. So what I was going to do is just cut off the other o-ring fitting and flair it. SO I was wondering if anyone could post a pic of their lines that go into the ram itself??
Old 07-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what year boat ? I had a 89 checkmate w/merc and had the o-ring pump side and flair on the actuator....but changed to the new actuator with orings...doubt you will be able to cut off and flair...have seen p/s line adapters that change the ends
Old 07-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Can't you go to your local Parker hydraulic shop with you old hose and have them make you a new hose. That is who made all of mine.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Im in Missouri..we dont have a parker hydro shop..I went to three different hydro shops no one has the o-ring fitting. What I guess Ill have to do is cut off the other o-ring and have them put a flared fitting on there..
Old 07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

oh, its a 88 baja, but its a 96 502 in the boat..
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered

I know that you aren't that close to Kansas City but Tompkins they can make just about anything on the spot 816-483-1004
Old 07-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another option is to change the fitting on the back of the pump to a early style with flair, then with flair on both ends you can find one pretty easy..even some automotive ones will work, just find a old GM saginaw p/s pump screw the big fitting out and swap..the mis match with later engine(assuming you are using the pump from the 96) is causing the issue...
Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went through replacing my actuator. Merc used a standard flare fitting up until the early 90's, then switched to a different actuator and PS pump that used metric o-ring fittings on both ends. The old actuator is NLA, and I would not be surprised if the PS hose for it is the same situation. Merc sells a kit that consists of the new actuator and a special hose that is standard on one end (for the old style pump) and metric on the other for the new style actuator. It is expensive, and you have no reason to replace your actuator. My local merc mechanic did mention some type of adapter fitting that may be available, but I think this adapts the old style flare hose end to the new style metric fitting, not the other way around. You may have to have a hose custom made.

BTW, it is impossible to get the hoses switched around the wrong way - HP takes a 7/16 flare, and LP takes a 5/8 flare.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

What is the engine serial number? We probably have it on the shelf.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Registered

I just had to have one made..cause I have a 96 motor, and a 88 p/s ram.. So it takes the o-ring fitting on the p/s and it takes a flared fitting on the ram..kinda a bastard set up..oh well..got it done..thanks guys!!!!