short in ignition? >

short in ignition?

Notices

short in ignition?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short in ignition?

i have a hp500 carb motor. I had a issue with the motor cutin out at upper rpm for a split second. only did it above 4800. Today it did it and the motor died and i lost all power. The 90 amp fuse on the starter blew. Replaced it and it blew as soon as battery was turned on (key was off and nothing else on). So i took it out and connected wires straight to starter, When the battery is turned on it pops the 50 amp breaker. Anybody have any suggestions on what and how to check?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I found the short hopefully that was it.

On the engine wire harness right off the connector there is a red wire with a purple stripe, it is a bigger wire than the rest. It has a metal crimp connecting it to three wires. It was taped up and the crimp rubbed threw the tape and grounded on the ignition bracket.

Is that crimp factory? or is it something someone did when they installed the hp500 in the boat?