Notices

350 Sci Verado problems?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 Sci Verado problems?

Hi all,

I'm trying to help a friend over here with a 350 Sci Verado on a 8m RIB. When he bought the boat new, the motor seemed to have endless power and pulled beautifully up to the top of the rev range with a 21p prop.
Since then, the performance has become gradually worse over the year. The boat is now having to run a 19p prop (same make etc) but just will not rev past about 6100 no matter what trim etc. I've literally trimmed the motor as far as it will go to give massive prop slip in the hopes of getting to the power band but it just won't rev, no matter how loose it is. It feels totally gutless in comparison.

Are there any known problems with these at all? I've heard there's issues with coils and possibly fuel pressure being too high, but I'm struggling to get much info from the UK.
Any suggestions much appreciated,

Cheers, James
Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Anyone?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Airking
VIP Member

You need to go here. http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/
For all your Verado questions and needs. Make sure you do a search for your answers before you ask a question so owner Glen will not get PO at you. You can pay a fee and a Merc Verado engineer will answer all your questions if you cannot find answer in free area. If you own a Verado you need to join. Tell your friend.

Last edited by Boater8987; 07-26-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

Might also try screamanfly.com. A bunch of the Merc guys hang out there.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ LOL, nobody there (S&F) wants a 700 lb verado hanging off the back of their potato chip.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boater8987
You need to go here. http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/
For all your Verado questions and needs. Make sure you do a search for your answers before you ask a question so owner Glen will not get PO at you. You can pay a fee and a Merc Verado engineer will answer all your questions if you cannot find answer in free area. If you own a Verado you need to join. Tell your friend.
I second the verado club link above. And yes, search before you post. Glen is great but can get a bit testy with multiple questions that are already posted in their tips and library section.
There are issues with pencil coils and losing fire in a cylinder which will obviously cause rpm drop. Not real common but enough have happened to consider.
Also the fuel float issues and ethanol. Again not all that common when you consider how many are out there and how many actually post about it.

All well documented over at the club.

You should see between 6200 and 6800 . If you were doing that with a 21 and now cant get it with a 19 I would definetly start with the coils. Bottom one first .
Old 07-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Great, thanks for the answers guys. I considered S&F but figured it wasn't their cup of tea!
I'll give the Verado forum a blast.

Cheers, James
Old 07-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I've just spent HOURS on the verado site, what an amazing place! I've got loads of info, lets hope we can get this sorted!!

James
Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by larby
I've just spent HOURS on the verado site, what an amazing place! I've got loads of info, lets hope we can get this sorted!!

James
haha, yeah , and do you like how it keeps your time logged in at the top . Every time you sign in you see a reminder you should be out boating. I have way too many hours on there.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts
Default You'd be----

Originally Posted by larby
I considered S&F but figured it wasn't their cup of tea!
surprised. S/F is an O/B site #1. and a Merc worshiping site #2.
If it's black they will come Is a growing fan base there for the 4 strokes and the Merc geeks were spouting off about the Verado's for yrs before it was even released!
Lot's of them have big center consoles/ficsh botes etc. and a lot of the guys w/the "potato chip" boats also have other boats
The other point I was trying to make in my earlier post is almost everybody that's anybody at Merc, reads S/F w/their morning coffee at the plant.
Their grape vine is alive and well @ S/F.
Is a guy on there now w/a 350 Verado (Norway I think) on a fast V and just now going through set up/testing.

BTW, there is a video there of a guy over seas w/a 225 Honda that he super charged that now runs over a 100!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 07-28-2011 at 06:09 AM.