454 submerged in salt water >

454 submerged in salt water

Notices

454 submerged in salt water

Old 07-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 submerged in salt water

Hit a submerged object going 25-30... outdrive seal failed and started taking on water. water got halfway up motor..about to the heads. Got her on the trailer...outdrive mount is broken badly, trim cylinders bent, prop damaged, outdrive leaking oil.

took her to the car wash and disconnected the water pickup tube, laid the water to it and let her run for a cpl minutes. the warning alarm is sounding, good oil pressure and never got hot, hoping there is a sensor in the outdrive oil res??? stpayed out the engine bay.

bottom of hull is damaged a little, doesn't appear to be bad or a structural issue.

Now what? I plan on making an insurance claim. The boat is a 97 donzi 25zx...book value is about 15k, i had it covered for 20k. Are they going to total the boat? If they don't, is the salt water submergence going to cause endless problems down the road?

Anything I need to do to the boat before it is repaired.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tnc110
Hit a submerged object going 25-30... outdrive seal failed and started taking on water. water got halfway up motor..about to the heads. Got her on the trailer...outdrive mount is broken badly, trim cylinders bent, prop damaged, outdrive leaking oil.

took her to the car wash and disconnected the water pickup tube, laid the water to it and let her run for a cpl minutes. the warning alarm is sounding, good oil pressure and never got hot, hoping there is a sensor in the outdrive oil res??? stpayed out the engine bay.

bottom of hull is damaged a little, doesn't appear to be bad or a structural issue.

Now what? I plan on making an insurance claim. The boat is a 97 donzi 25zx...book value is about 15k, i had it covered for 20k. Are they going to total the boat? If they don't, is the salt water submergence going to cause endless problems down the road?

Anything I need to do to the boat before it is repaired.
not if you hurry and i mean like right now... you need to get tons of fresh water on everything that got salted and then red corrossion x on everything metal and green corossion x on things like the bores and any meaningful moving parts. if you wait 24hrs there is a lot of stuff that will never work again and if it got in the bores , that 24 hrs might be enough to stick the rings in the pistons. time really really is of the essence here
Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Registered

I agree start flushing and hose off now
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The alarm going off is for the outdrive lube. Just disconnect the wires going to the lube bottle and it should turn off.

I agree with the others about flushing and washing down everything. Anything electrical taht was under water and flushed right away is going to start corroding and will probably fail in the future.