Prop hitting drive?? >

Prop hitting drive??

Notices

Prop hitting drive??

Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Prop hitting drive??

I have two boats with bravo drives, one with a 26" bravo, the other with a 28" bravo.

I swapped props this weekend, for some speed runs.

But when I put the 26 on the boat that had the 28 on it, the prop rubbed the drive (the bullet section) you could turn it, but it sounded like metal on metal.

And you could see the space needed was not there.

I used the same thrust washer that was on the boat for the 28 ( I assumed it is the same??)

Anyh idea's of what is going on here?

I didn't have chance to take the 28 off and comare the washer, but I can see the 28 on the boat that had the 26 has the needed space, and turns fine.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Different props sometimes require different Thrust Washers. It sucks, but it's reality. That's why you have to be careful when you swap props. Look at the bright side, at least you were smart enough to check before you put the boat in the water!

Another common bo-bo is changing the prop and not checking the Skeg / Sacrificial Anode that hangs down just above and behind the prop. I've seen more than a few of those knocked off when somebody doesn't check and puts a boat into gear for the first time.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are a few different hubs that use different washers as well...have a 24 and a 28 that are different
Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did both props use the plastic Flow-Torq II hub or was one solid and the other a FT?